America Gamely Stumbled Off to War -- Dec. 7, 1941

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A5813-2001Dec6.html]
After the sneak attack, crowds gathered outside the White House and sang "God Bless America." Soldiers armed with machine guns guarded government buildings. The FBI began rounding up suspicious foreigners. And the head of the Secret Service stared nervously at the sky, watching for suspicious aircraft.

It was Dec. 7, 1941, 60 years ago today. Japanese planes had bombed Pearl Harbor, and the West Coast was in a state of panic.

In Los Angeles, an antiaircraft battery blasted away at enemy bombers that were not actually there.

In Seattle, authorities ordered all lights extinguished to fool Japanese pilots, and mobs enforced the blackout by smashing store windows that had been left illuminated -- and, incidentally, looting the stores.
[/QUOTEURL]

Read the full story at the link above. It was 60 years ago today that the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. This is a day when Americans should remember to display their flags and show they are proud to be an American. If it wasn't for those brave people back then we might not even have our own country today.:usa:

br0ck

Ya, I don't think I'd fit in well in the the axis powers form of govt. Thank god for the allies!!

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Originally posted by br0ck
Thank god for the allies!!

Not to toot our own horn, well, okay I will, thank God for the Americans.

Until the Japanese Empire decided to strike Pearl Harbor, we weren't involved anywhere in the world. A little logistical help for Britain was it. After we had our butts handed to us, we went ballistic. Kind of like now, with the exception that, *clears throat* now listen up you asshole terrorists, the Japanese Navy had the "decency" to attack a military installation with marked planes *cough, cough*.

In two and a half years, we went from cleaning up western Europe to "cleaning the clocks..." of Japan. With the Marshall Plan, we helped Japan implement a new Constitution, outlawing an active Armed Forces, with exception of self-preservation & only logistical support outside of Japan. This, late 2001, is the first time the Japanese military has left the Island since, and it's in support of the World vs terrorism.

In the following decades, we rebuilt Japan & Europe and assisted in creating a more peaceful & prosperous world.

Now, we must do it again......:usa:

*condolences to the families of those aboard the USS Arizona & all the other military & civilain casualties then & since.*

Kruz

Staff member
Im watching "Tora" "Tora" "Tora" right now... love those old war movies.
If I could pick any place in time to go back to .. it would be the war years of 39-45.

br0ck

Originally posted by Kruz
Im watching "Tora" "Tora" "Tora" right now... love those old war movies.
If I could pick any place in time to go back to .. it would be the war years of 39-45.

Don't forget, America was very into it's past time those years.

'39 - World Fair in NY
'39 - Jou Gehrig gave his speech at Yankee Stadium
'41 - "Joltin" Joe Dimagio had his 56 game hitting streak
'41 - Ted Williams hit .406, last time someone batted over .400

Good time to be American. :)

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
Copy/paste whore! :P

THIS IS A TEST, THIS IS ONLY A TEST.

(it's obvious what you're doing to me fury, you're ruining my life by making me stay online past 3 AM! :D ;) )

fury

Administrator
Staff member
If I were involved in politics, I wouldn't let crap like WTC and Pearl Harbor happen at all.