AMD Specific BIOS Settings

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I own three Athlon based motherboards. The FIC AZ-11 and the GigaByte 71XE and 71XE4. The FIC AZ-11 has a setting that is specific, as far as I can tell, to the AMD Athlon/Duron/Thunderbird CPU's. The K7 CLK_CTL Select. In the user manual, is states:

"This item allows users to set K7 CPU clock ramp rate according to the system clock multiplier (CLKMUL) and the system bus speed. The options are: Default, Optional (Default)."

So my question is this. Why is this specific setting not in the BIOS' of the GigaByte boards and what exactly is the ramp rate and what does it do. The FIC board is a Socket A as is the 71XE4. The 71XE is a Slot A based motherboard.

Any information about this would be greatly appreciated. Also, if you know of any other BIOS settings that are AMD specific, I would greatly appraciate information about those. I'm trying to gather this data for my website for a page specific to AMD BIOS'. Again, thank you for any help.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Nobody seems to know what the hell this is. Set it to optimal, unless you experience problems with your USB ports. If USB issues appear, setting it back to default can help.

ris

i am my my own evil twin
i have the clk-ctl setting on my abit kt7a-raid.

but i'm pretty sure it came with the recent bios versions. try upgrading the bios if you've not done so already.