Kruz

Staff member
I know what you mean Dean..I've been doing it since I was a teen...:)
And on top of that ,we are regarded as crooks by most of the population:mad:

Deanril

Exactly Kruz we will never shake that image either ,because there are alot of them still out there ,and or are just bad techs.

Diagnosing and messing with things they have no knowledge nor should be messing with in the first place.

Just looks at the facts of the job ,its not a good job ,think of all the crap we have inhailed for all the years ,all the exaust the brakeclean the carbclean the numerous other chemicals.....think of all the chemicals that have entered outr blood stream through open cuts and sores ect.......

Rewarding!!! I think not ,......... bad job.

Thats why I opened a computer shop so I can eventually retire from cars 100% and go Computers 100%.

Currently at my shop I have a Computer shop,not a comp usa but a mom and pop size shop ,we do great work and are honest ,and do well for only a couple years open ,and part time comitment.

Kruz

Staff member
I hope that works out for you. Computers that is:)
And I agree ... Ignorance and incompetence have bilked more money from customers' than dishonest tech's have.

Professur

Mushroom at large
Dean, you've got to be kidding me, right.

I've spent thousands on tools too. Anti static mats, non-magnetic tools, toner-proof vacumn, spare parts, etc.

I've spent thousands on education and certifications.

I have to go to work in a suit and tie, and regularly have to deal with machines with (no BS) up to an inch of dust inside. I have to buy new shirts every other month.

Jamming you knuckles can't hurt more than raking your knuckles down the solder side of a pc card. Or slicing your hands open on a cheaply made (AST) chassis.

As for troubleshooting, try finding out that the fix for a compaq's printing problems is to change the keyboard driver.:confused:

And I'll stand witness that every second computer tech is incompetent, crooked, or both.

jopes

Your Nightmare
I have to agree both jobs can be testing.

But hands down the car maintance is worse.

Think of all those little cuts and scrapes on your hands,,, when changing a fuel filter. And you thought hydrogen proxide hurt in a cut.

Deanril

Jopes has got it,and I do both jobs ,and I know positively computer repair ect .......... much easier.

Dust I take em out to shop and blow em out first thing,then start on repair.

Cuts from pc cards........ cant say as Ive ever got one of those ,I just take out the screw and pop it out.Hp's can be a bit cramp you just gota slide those drive bays out and walah,Ive seen idiots half put on heatsinks because they didnt know how to slide them out,lol.

Compaqs,some are quite redundant ,however most from the factory have inherant problems with drivers and such, and stupid compaq programs.Especially win ME compaqs ,big problems.

We have a Compaq out in the shop for 4.5 years 24/7 been running like a charm.

I have lots of different tools I use on computers ,I have a basic set of screwdrivers and pliers ect.$100 ,then for networking I have crimpers and testers ect.$100 there...,then at the shop I have my software I like to use ,also 1 computer dedicated to repair ,of harddrivers or for copying drives ect $200..Then I have a few stations setup to plug in computers ,so a few monitors and keyboards and mice and speakers ,maybe $600 there.

I have a few components for testing cpus ram ect.basicly mobos for AMD\Intel socket 7/A/370/slot1 then a pci vid card and a few other things so $200 there ,but not $1000's for computer repair.

Then laptops I have a few items like $300-$400 there ,lets see there was construction I did on the stations ect..but again not even 10% of what I have for automotive use.

1 set of sockets is like $120 ,specialty tools are astronomical ,and you dont use them alot either ,then wrenches and pliers good god Ive got like 40 pairs of different pliers the list goes on and on and on,very expensive tools.

Deanril

In addition Jopes yeah how about a little Fuel deoderant running down to your arm pits on a hot summer day ,that bunrs real nicely.

I cant even think about how many times my hands are BLACK ,and CUT and bloody and craming them down a small hole trying to thread a bolt and just hating it.

Or muscling in a tranny thats been under the car for 20 years and is greasy as hell and know all that craps in your hair arms ect...inch think of grime from 20 years of fluid leakage.

Or having a half gallon of trans fluid land in your lap thats always fun.

sharp metal....theres plenty of it in cars especially under the dash ,try doing a heater core on some of these cars ,stick you arm under there and get sliced and diced by the steal structure of the dash.

How about a nice bolt slipage and send your knuckles at FULL-FORCE into a nice rusty flange and take 1 or 2 knucles right off ,and sit there and cut the rest of the skin off ,and rap a quick towel on it ,and get back in there.........the list goes on and on.......

jopes

Your Nightmare
hey Dean you forgot those screws that are put in from the fire wall side. They are always pointy and sticking out under the dash. They always seem hungry for warm flesh.

I work fast when I work on cars, But I will say I work just slow enough to minimize all of my cuts and such. I did just get cut back a while ago when I replaced all my front end bushings with polurathane, and let me tell you that ****er bleed.

Found a rag, cut it with my trusty sissors (tin snips) and ducktaped the sucker to my finger. prayed I didn't need stitched because our only vechile had the front axle laying on the ground. Finished the job and let the nurse fix my finger.

And grease is always a treat to get out of your hair.

If I am knowingly working on the under side of my bronco, I pressure wash the whole thing to remove the loose stuff :)

Professur

Mushroom at large
That would be wierd. How does that work, anyways? You sort of zone out while the wife's talking to you and when you come to, you under the car greasing the axle? Or do you go out to the garage one morning and the tranny's in pieces on the floor?