Which hard drive do you..

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
use? and why ?

I prefer Western Digital. I have used others but have always went back to them. Very rare i have a problem with them.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
IBM for one single reason: Speed.

Their service department isn't perfect but you have to be hard-pressed to beat the (single IDE drive) performance of the 75gxp and 60gxp series drives

I'm thinking about going Seagate sometime since their service was really helpful and their reply was in-depth and detailed when I sent them off an email - sounds so far like a good company to put my trust in

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
These days, either Maxtor or IBM. I used to use Western Digital exclusively, but their qaulity seemed to take a dive a couple years ago. When 8 gig drives became standard and affordable, I had 3 WD 8 giggers die on me in 8 months. I've never gone back.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Maxtor 7200rpm 27GB cause it was cheap & a Fujitsu 6.4GB than came ioth my PacBell pos. Thats running Linux & I'm still confused but I at least got flash player in-it's a start

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
IBM in the T-bird...cuz fury said so :D

WD in the comcrap cuz it was there.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Samsung 'cause it came with the computer.

When I do get a new one for my new system it will be IBM 'cause 4 out 5 dentist picked it.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Almost forgot. My linux box uses a Quantum Bigfoot TX8 8 gig hard drive

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
My last two were Seagates for lack of option. But they're running well. I had a Quantum that worked fine too. I intend to try IBM or Maxtor if they happen to become available here.
@office we had big trouble with Fujitsus and some Western too.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
That's kinda odd... I usually hear good stuff about Fujitsu

I understand about the WDs though... I ha(d)ve one of those. Crappiest piece of crap that ever crapped. Glad I never actually bought it (traded it for 64 megs of old crappy ram)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting... I've had nothing but trouble with any drive other than my IBM.

Every time my Linux box crashes (which is not often), I get one of those "Primary Master Failure" black screens of death, so I have to start the thing up while tapping on the POS quantum drive if I want it to boot, much less crunch genes.

ResearchMonkey

The IBM I had was used, I bought it from a used stuff shop.

it did last for a year and a half or so.

I hear good stuff about IBM but I cant afford them ;)

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I've always used Western Digital. Recently, I invested in an IBM because our dealer didn't have any WD's instock. It died here recently being only two monthes old. No biggie. Advanced replacement. Nope. Come to find out that IBM dosen't do advanced replacement. Still waiting for my drive to come back. Never going to get another IBM again.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Shame :(

With some better customer support, IBM would have it made.

I emailed a few hard drive manufacturers asking about the possibility of retrying dual-head disk drive technology (there was one attempt at it long ago but it kinda fell through). Among the 3 manufacturers who actually replied, IBM's response was the worst.

I got the feeling the person at IBM who handled my email didn't really want to take the time to form a good response.

Seagate, however, appeared to go through great lengths to explain their answer (I forgot what their answer was :lol:, but I won't forget the detail they went into to explain it) If this is any indication of the average customer support rep there, then Seagate might just have themselves a customer. :D