what I would really like is to have explorer from 95 running in WinMe

S

s4

Is there any possible way to make explorer.exe from Win95 run in WinME. I tried running it and it wont come up if I copy the file to the new os. An alternative explorer lookalike might be acceptable, I greatly dislike the one that came with WinME and 98.

S

s4

I use IE quite a lot, so getting rid of it is not an option. I'm thinking that a freeware or shareware file-manager might be a the better solution for me.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
98lite replaces 98/Me explorers with the windows 95 explorer. You have to have a Windows 95 cd earlier than OSR2.5 though, and you lose a lot of the customized features of the shell like the quicklaunch bar, the minimizing from hitting the task button again, right-clickable start menu, and in Me, the extendable menus (like setting it to extend Control panel so you can use it like a normal menu)

The advantages are snappy drive browsing and no security risks associated with making IE the shell

S

s4

Thanks for the replies. I looked through my software after the mention of Powerdesk and found that I already have it. Back in January I bought Fix-Utils 3, and Powerdesk 4 pro was bundled with it.