Virtual PC

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://www.connectix.com/products/]
Virtual PC (TM) for Windows® enables Windows users to run multiple PC operating systems simultaneously on a single machine, either as individual windows or as background tasks, without having to repartition the hard drive or to reboot from one OS to another.
[/QUOTEURL]

Sounds interesting. I haven't actually tried it yet and am about to download the 45 day version on their site.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Looks cool, but like with their playstation emulator, I bet they're going to get into a legal battle with MS :(

S

s4

Apparently, it's been around for quite a while. The 45 day version is free to download.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
My prof gave us full versions of VM-Ware for *cough* educational purposes only *cough*. We use it to run NW5.1 servers on our lappy's at home where we can't connect to the Novell server. But I did install RH7 and Win98 virtual machines as well. Just got to get more memory now; 128megs isn't enough to do anything exciting right now.

S

s4

I installed and tried the version of VirtualPC on their site for download. I installed Windows 95 while running Windows Me. It was cool being able to have multiple os's running without the need to reboot.

There are some extensions downloads on the site that you can get so that the two can share directories for transferring data from one os to the other. Example: if I had a file in c:\temp, I could share that directory to use that file in both os's. However the file I use for example cannot be used at the same time by two os's. It's more for copying files between them than say having a spreadsheet open in two programs at once.

One use of this program would be to have Linux installed without repartitioning the hard drive or having a special boot loader installed to dual boot. Also, you can have Linux and Windows loaded at the same time and use both by just moving the mouse between them.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I use VM Ware myself in Linux. The real sad part is the friggin OS is more stable in a virual space than it is as a stand alone. :lol: :lol:

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
Use VMWare, there's a windows client too! Don't mess aroudn with that shoddy crap. Why "share" files, when you can use VMWare to actually link to another OS installed on the system and avoid fitting it into a 2gb VM? OH well, I'm one to talk...

S

s4

After trying VirtualPC, I concluded that a faster processor than mine is needed to use it. I have an Athlon Classic 600, and it was very slow.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Emulation often causes the system to lose half its speed making software emulators link to the actual hardware.

S

s4

About the only thing I could run was Win 95 using that program on my Athlon classic 600. The other os's would run but they were not usable.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like Virtual PC still might have some performance optimizations to work out.