ok, so my clear computer up and died

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
....in the middle of the night. It was running fine when I went to bed.
I kinda doubt a power surge, cuz both puters are plugged into the same ups and the other one is fine.
I ordered a new 400w PSU, but what are the chances it's the mobo or the chip?
I have no semblence of power, no leds, no beeps, no nuthin.:cry:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
Q did you try testing another powersupply? I know you other might not be as strong but if you just test the mobo it might give you some beeps. :) let us know

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I didn't want to tear the working computer apart, but the PSU I ordered will be here tomorrow. I'm just panicing early, in case I plug everything in and it still doesn't work....I can't really afford a new mobo or a new chip...or both:scared:
...unless I don't eat for about a month.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
ok, try this does you old psu's fan turn on? try unplugging everything from it and try turning it on. If it turns on you got other problems. Could be something really pulling the juice.
What you would need to try next is plugging on thing in at a time to see what is drawing the power out.
If it doesnt turn on the its definately the PSU and you done good.:)

Justintime

Something
in most spikes/surges/brownouts i've seen, the psu takes the kick first, components rarely die, unless lightning hit it :D

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
*twirls on head* yippy skippy! I unplugged everything and it doesn't work.

...on the downside *sigh* I took out enough fur from between the heatsink and fan to make another whole dog. :scared:

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
ACK a big dog or little one? Dust that baby out more... (should listen to self too)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Justintime said:
in most spikes/surges/brownouts i've seen, the psu takes the kick first, components rarely die, unless lightning hit it :D
Not in the spikes/surges/brownouts I've seen. :eek: (see my other thread)

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
All depends. I've seen the damage stop at the PS. I've also seen it take mobo's, chips, cards, and drives.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
:scared:*GASP*.....you're not supposed to scare me like that! The new psu is sitting on the counter top wainting for me to put it in. KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!

S

s4

I'm a happy guy right now. My computer that I use everyday just broke down. Turns out a file named vredir.vxd is causing a Windows Protection Error. I get a nice blue screen when I boot up.

Luckily, I have my os backed up and can restore it. Still, it's a bummer. :(

S

s4

Good luck to Q on getting her system going.

After scanning for viruses, I restored my system back to normal.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I cleaned it, I cleaned it. There was even crap behind the mobo....good thing it's clear so I could find all the scuz, huh? :D