Is anyone seriously stupid enough to think the Super Bowl was fixed?

markjs

QuackHead
All jokes and hard feelings aside, does anyone really think that anyone could pay enough to keep 50 some players on one team and everyone else that would have to be involved quiet about a game fix in the NFL? The very idea is ludicrous! And whats more is there any dumber reason you could dream up for a fix than a coincidental name of a team? If it was a fix wouldnt the Jets have gone all the way or even the Giants? Besides the Rams are an American team that everyone seemed to want to win and surely were expected to win...thus no matter who won....America won! If you seriously think there was a fix you seriously might need to talk to some mental health professionals about your paranoia or you are just hopelessly dumb!

Stop Laughing

it isn't that funny!
Staff member
Let the flame war begin! Gonzo, where are you?

The last sports scandal that was at the professional level (college is a much different story, all sorts of scandals there) here was the Black Sox scandal over 80 years ago. The NFL is, IMO of the 4 major US televised sports (baseball, football, basketball, hockey), the best of them all, not only in entertainment value, but in structure. Baseball has no salary cap which means the 2/3 of the teams are out of their division races before they even start. Basketball and Hockey are a little better, but there're teams that are worse than awful (examples: the Clippers the last 10 or so years, the Blackhawks (until this year), and the Bulls every year after MJ left them for good to name a few) and don't make much of an effort to even be somewhat competitive. In the NFL, there's probably the smallest gap between its best and worst team than found in any of the other 3. On any given Sunday, any football team can win in the NFL. That's been proven, and is why the games are that interesting. The Vikings were awful this year, losing to Carolina and Detroit, yet they go out and beat the Green Bay Packers once. It's parody at its finest, and it makes for some great betting as well. :)

unclehobart

this is my special title
Thats the beauty of it... you don't need all 50 in on it. All you need is like 4 people out of 6 key positions on any given team to sabotage it all.

S

s4

You are not going to tell me that Warner from the Rams was involved in throwing the game. Did you see him go out there in the 4th quarter and get the shit beat out of him? His thumb was practically broke. If he wanted to throw the game he would of taken himself out of it. I admired the way he got the crap knocked out of him and came back in the game.

If anything the Rams should have tried to run more in the first half. If they could have gotten their running game in sync, it would have taken it's toll later in the game on the Patriots' defense.

I will say it one last that. There is no way that game was fixed. Geez, give it a rest.:withstup:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Yes I was pissed because of the bad call, but that did not put the Raiders in the stupor bowl. They would have had to beat Pittsburgh. So, I'm not pissed about that.

Apparently, markjs doesn't understand the intrinsic value of the name Patriots. Jets, dumbass, are what flew into the building. Giants?, wtf are you talking about? Rams are stupid animals. Patriots are what the people who started this country were called. And they started in New England, so it only makes sense that, after an attack on our soil, to have the champions of the NFL to be called the New England Patriots-PR all the way.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
So, I'm just wondering who has the power to fix a super bowl and is a Patriots fan.....and the more important question is: did the money they won go in the victims assistance fund, or was it for person gain. There are always ulterior motives. They mighta schmoozed (ok, used rhetoric, in political speak) some people to throw the game in the name of Patriotism ...but really the whole thing comes down to money.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
:hmm:

It does make you wonder...

Code:
Total Offense:
1. St. Louis 418.1 ypg; 31.4 ppgs
vs.
Total Defense
24. New England 334.5 ypg; 17.0 ppga

&

Total Offense:
19. New England 305.1 ypg; 23.2 ppgs
vs.
Total Defense
3. St. Louis 279.4 ypg; 17.1 ppga

The score almost became 24-3 with about 10 minutes left, but thanks to a holding call...I guess the Rams just didn't want it bad enough until the end.

S

s4

Let's compare the stats of the M.Faulk.

Last week vs. Eagles:

M.Faulk
ATT 31
YDS 159
AVG 5.1
LG 31
TD 2

The Super Bowl:

M.Faulk
ATT 17
YDS 76
AVG 4.5
LG 15
TD 0

The reason the Rams lost is because they did not pound the defense like they did they did the week before. They passed the ball many times when they should have run instead. You may think that throwing the ball is what wins football games, but a good running game can wear out an opposing defense.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Things that make ya go hmmmmmm:

How much does it cost to persuade one super bowl contender not to pound the other ones defense?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
NE did give up 115.9/g rushing. I can tell you what an offensive lineman would rather do on offense. They'd rather run the ball every play if they could, which is surprising why the Rams didn't run more.

Gonzo

Staff member
Another point of guilt:

The Patsys came out & were introduced as a team, instead of individually, which meant they were embarassed to have their names be part of a cover-up/fix.:lurk:

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Why didn't they finish the game? There was still a couple seconds on the clock after that field goal. A kickoff return for a touchdown is not unheard of in football.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Yes, it absolutely was fixed... by Bill Gates... really! Have you ever heard of the "Super Bowl Indicator" for the stock market? With more than 80% accuracy, the winner of the Super Bowl predicts the trend of the stock market for the comming year. If an NFC team wins... stocks rise. If an AFC team wins... stocks fall. In a news conference on Sunday (no coincidence) Bill Gates strongly insisted there will be no economic recovery in 2002. This was his trump card to ensure stocks will fall when played in combination with having "fixed" the game. Why, do you ask would he want stocks to fall? So he can sell "short" and make (more) millions.

Gonzo

Staff member
I asked that last night but nobody else noticed. The ball cleared the goalpost with 2 seconds remaning. NFL coverup & fix.:lurk:

S

s4

There is no way the NFL would ever risk it's status as being one of the most popular sports leagues in the world by fixing a game. The NFL has enough money that it cannot be bribed, and the commissioner would never stoop to that level.

The game was not fixed. I was an incredible moment in sports and the Patriots deserve to be recognized as a team that refused to lose. Did you see how calm that quarterback was taking his team down the field? I've only seen a few qb's do that people like Montana, Elway, Bradshaw.... if that kid keeps playing like that he could be a hall of famer someday.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Well, not saying it was fixed, but I'm sure a game could be fixed without the commissioner being involved.

I just wanted to see the end of the game.