How can you tell when a tranny is about to go?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I think my transmission is slipping.

When I am shifting gears or after stopping sharply, pressing on the gas will make the engine (transmission?) rev up high for about a second and then jerk back down and then the car will lunge and then start going.

Is it gonna blow?

PuterTutor

Probably won't blow, but you've got belts slipping for sure. First step is to check the Tranny fluid. Usually done while the car is running, either in neutral or park, it will tell you on the dipstick.

Spot

is it a manual transmission?
i'm guessing either the clutch or torque converter is going

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Auto. '94 T-bird V8 4.6L - 148k miles. Engine was replaced at 121k

PT, thanks, will check that when I get back from the store after the car's been warmed up.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
:p

The tranny fluid was on the mark, seemed fine to me (at least, it looked the same as the last time I checked it, and dad said that was OK)

It IS supposed to be red, right?

Inkara1

I keep thinking you've asked a similar question about your tranny before. It's either deja vu all over again, or the problem is ongoing.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
You're correct inky, I posted about 6 months ago; http://www.otcentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8068&highlight=transmission

It's been quiet for about 5 months and around the start of this month has been starting to happen again, but not just when I am trying to accelerate rapidly from a stop (e.g. need to merge into a tight spot in a main road at rush hour). It now also happens every time I shift from reverse to drive and try to press on the gas at all for the first couple seconds. It's like I'm throwing it into neutral, stepping on the gas, and while I'm stepping, I put it into drive.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It's leaking. :retard:

I pulled out of the driveway a couple days ago and saw tranny fluid on the ground for the first time...

*sigh* :mope:

Inkara1

Have you hunted down where the leak's coming from? It might just be the gasket around the pan, and it might also be coming from around the driveshaft. It might also be leaking from the hoses that head towards the radiator for transmission fluid cooling. So the leak doesn't tell whether it's minor or more serious.