"Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children From Sex,"

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
If ever there was a subject that approaches quelching the 1st Admendment, this is it. It is so unbelieveably nauseating that I get enraged thinking about it. It's not the older teens part that bugs me, these people are discussing pre-teens having enough knowledge, experience, LIFE to make a decision that affects the rest of their life. Yes I know it already happens. But, that does not alleviate the adults, especially adults of "authority" to give them permission.

Imagine, your 11 year old daughter going to a school nurse to get the pill & she, as the authority, sanctions YOUR child to have an affair with the cute 3rd grade teacher and You are never told . Beause it may fulfill the emptiness that YOUR daughter feels. Goddamnit, 11 year olds are supposed to feel empty. Our job, as parents is to fill that emptiness with knowledge, cognizance of right & wrong, direction, love, tenderness, among many, many others things that we, the parents, find correct.

Part of my outrage is sparked by the American Pyshcological Associations acceptance & outright support of NAMBLA (north american man boy love association). Since when is pedophilia ok? Where have we gone, that this - the last bastion of pure evil & perversity, is no longer supposed to be an all out horror. What fucking universe am I in? Once we head down this road, lets go ahead & nuke the planet. It's all over but the shouting anyway.:mad:

New book on children's sexuality causes a furor; conservatives assail author and publisher
By David Crary
Associated Press

NEW YORK - A month before its publication, a provocative book about children's sexuality is being denounced by conservatives as evil and prompting angry calls for action against the University of Minnesota Press.

The book, "Harmful to Minors: The Perils of Protecting Children From Sex,"argues that young Americans, though bombarded with sexual images from the mass media, are often deprived of realistic advice about sex.

"What's happening to me is a perfect example of the very hysteria that my book is about," New York-based author Judith Levine said in an interview.

Levine has been working on the book since the mid-1990s. With the recent sex scandals involving clergy and young people, she admits it's a particularly challenging time to make her case that American youth are entitled to safe, satisfying sex lives.

Publisher after publisher rejected the book - one called its contents "radioactive" - before the University of Minnesota Press accepted the manuscript a year ago.

Writes Levine in her introduction, "In America today, it is nearly impossible to publish a book that says children and teen-agers can have sexual pleasure and be safe too."

From the outset, officials at the Minnesota press knew the book would be controversial; they had the manuscript reviewed by five academic experts, instead of the usual two, to be sure its contentions were based on sound research.

Still, the uproar exceeded expectations after the book was condemned on conservative Internet sites.

"We've never seen anything quite this angry," said the press director, Douglas Armato. "The book isn't actually out yet. What people are reacting to is not the book itself, but the idea of the book."

In "Harmful to Minors," Levine argues that abstinence-only sex education is misguided. She also suggests the threat of pedophilia and molestation by strangers is exaggerated by adults who want to deny young people the opportunity for positive sexual experiences.

"Squeamish or ignorant about the facts, parents appear willing to accept the pundits' worst conjectures about their children's sexual motives," Levine writes. "It's as if they cannot imagine that their kids seek sex for the same reasons they do."

Levine said much of the furor over her book stems from an interview she gave last month to Newhouse News Service, amid the Roman Catholic Church sex-abuse scandal. Newhouse quoted her as saying a sexual relationship between a priest and a youth "conceivably" could be positive.

Levine said this week that she disapproves of any sexual relationship between a youth and an authority figure, whether a parent, teacher or priest. However, she believes teen-agers deserve more respect for the choices they make in consensual affairs, and suggests that America's age-of-consent laws can sometimes lead to excessive punishment.

She cites the Dutch age-of-consent law as a "good model" - it permits sex between an adult and a young person between 12 and 16 if the young person consents. Prosecutions for coercive sex may be sought by the young person or the youth's parents.[

"Teens often seek out sex with older people, and they do so for understandable reasons: an older person makes them feel sexy and grown-up, protected and special," writes Levine, who had an affair with an adult when she was a minor.

Several conservative media commentators and activists have accused Levine of condoning child abuse.

Robert Knight, director of Concerned Women for America's Culture and Family Institute, is urging the University of Minnesota to fire the university press officials who decided to publish the book.

"The action is so grievous and so irresponsible that I felt they relinquished their right to academic freedom," said Knight, who has described the book as "very evil."

Armato said he has informed university officials about the irate reaction to the book and explained to them how the decision to publish was made. He stressed that the book was accepted not out of hopes for a profit but because the University of Minnesota Press thought its arguments were worth public debate.

"What we've encouraged them to do is let the book speak for itself," Armato said. "The book is very nuanced and very complex."

Levine, a journalist and author who writes often about sex and gender, has no children of her own.Thank goodness She writes in her introduction that some publishers felt her book was insufficiently "parent-friendly."

Parents deserve support and respect, but so do young people, she said.

She said the weakening of comprehensive sex education programs has left sexually active teen-agers uninformed about ways to protect themselves from AIDS and other diseases, and ignorant about contraception.

"Operating in an atmosphere of complete ignorance, it's very easy to exaggerate threats and foment fear," she said. "America's drive to protect kids from sex protects them from nothing. Instead, it is often harming them."

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
i think that author is a pedophile.

...and if nothing else, she obviously has done little or no research on child brain development. Children are physically incabable of making rational informed decisions. Their brains simply are not developed enough. No child chooses to have a sexual relationship with an adult. They may be coerced, intimidated, deceived by the adult, but I can guarantee the kid is not the initiator.
...AND the day the school nurse starts dispensing the pill without the parents permission is the day the nurse goes to jail. The pill is a prescription medication, which requires a thorough exam to determine which, if any, type is appropriate for the patient. Besides, I don't think they did any clinical trials on eleven year olds.

The lady's a moron, who is obviously coping with her own sexaul abuse as a child by justifying it. She needs help.

Gato_Solo

I don't think she was sexually abused. I think she's just STUPID. Obviously, she doesn't have children, and she doesn't remember what life was like while SHE was growing up. It's just another step down the road to Sodom and Gomorrha. WhenEVER a society permits the sexual abuse of children, it has already been compromised. Call me anti-gay, but THAT is where this whole thing started.

Gonzo

Staff member
Q said:
...AND the day the school nurse starts dispensing the pill without the parents permission is the day the nurse goes to jail.

Where ya been babycakes, this is old news. happens all the time in our publik educashion sistim

GS said:
Call me anti-gay, but THAT is where this whole thing started.

I'll split it with ya, gays are not pedophiles & there is no connection between the two, however, once the gate to this particular deviation was opened out poured the truly fucked up perv's

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Bullshit, bullshit, bullshit and more bullshit. Right now, I am trying to help my teenage daughter get over the fact that another FEMALE teenager hit on her! She's friggin in tears over it and the damn school isn't doing a fucking thing about it. The schools themselves are a waste of tax payer money, but that another story...hell, they should just close all of them down and rehire new teachers. Not that that would help.

But to flat out tell me that they don't see a problem with this?! Ummm, HELLO! ANYONE HOME! :mad: Well, Mrs, Mr. Miss, Mrs., It. Levine or whatever you might call yourself...why dont you bring your stupid ass on over to my place so we can have a little heart to heart aye? Think your up to it?

Gato_Solo

Looks like EVERYONE will be demanding their 'equal rights'. As if Gay people, before they were 'in your face', actually had just as many rights as the rest of us. If they felt the sting of prejudice, it's because they decided that they should stand out.

Gato_Solo

nono.gif
I was typing a bit too fast. What I meant was, if you were gay before the 60's, you pretty much kept it to yourself, and you enjoyed the rights and privileges of everyone else in your social class. It's only when you decided to be 'in your face' about your sexual orientation that the problems started. As for your 13 year old daughter, she has rights as well, and the school better start respecting them before you hire a lawyer (hint-hint).

We are ALL paying for the overindulgence of the 60's. Racial equality and gender equality are one thing, but, last time I checked, the only other problems folks had was when they opened their big, fat, mouth.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
They are handing out birth control pills to middle schoolers? What if they have a heart condition? A hereditary blood disease? What if they are taking medication which is contraindicated with oral contraceptives? How many 12, 13 ,14 year olds are responsible enough to remember to take that pill everyday? How many will get pregnant because they thought they were protected, because they remembered to take their pill every day for a WHOLE week and only missed a couple?
Condoms? Fine. I have no problem with the schools making condoms available. Birth control pills, no way. I'll be checking this out.

Gonzo

Staff member
Posty-what a dilemma. She has to know they're out there, all kinds of freaks-not just gays-but damn, talking to a hormonally deranged teen girl is bad enough in lite conversation. Good luck, and remember, you made it thru PT, you can make it thru this.:)

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
I'll read through that stuff more thoroughly tomorrow...but this cracked me up :D
1. To communicate our message effectively to our target audience in their own language and on their own terms.

We believe that a current shortcoming of other EBC awareness campaigns is that they do not convey their message in ways to which the target audience is able to be receptive. Their presentation, despite good intentions, is academic to the point of being obfuscatory, and often rather pompous.

hmmm...wonder what grade obfuscatory was a spelling/ or vocabulary word?

Nihilistic

Close the world, txEn eht nepO
PostCode said:
Right now, I am trying to help my teenage daughter get over the fact that another FEMALE teenager hit on her! She's friggin in tears over it and the damn school isn't doing a fucking thing about it.

And you act suprised, please, you would be suprised how many lesbians there are at public schools, and even more suprised how many are open about it...

Nihilistic

Close the world, txEn eht nepO
obfuscatory

websters sez...
ob·fus·cate
To make so confused or opaque as to be difficult to perceive or understand: “A great effort was made... to obscure or obfuscate the truth” (Robert Conquest).
To render indistinct or dim; darken: The fog obfuscated the shore.

Gonzo

Staff member
Last night Bill O'Reilly interviewed former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders, who wrote the forward of theis book. on his FoxNews show. These are the excerpts from the book, according to O'Reilly

page 25
"Sexual conduct with a child does not a pedophile make."
page 225
"sex is not harmful to children. It's a vehicle to self-knowledge, love, healing, creativity, adventure, and intense feelings of aliveness. There are many ways even the smallest child can partake of sex."
"we relish our erotic attraction to children."
"Comprehensive non abstinence, sex education works. And abstinence education does not."

the whole interview
http://foxnews.com/story/0,2933,49875,00.html

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Shit like this makes me sick... extremely sick.

Most of what I was going to say has already been said, so I'll just get out of this thread now.

ChaseCentral

Professional Ass-Kicker
I have a solution.
Step 1: Rip out her ovaries.
Step 2: Kill everyone capable of producing offspring like this author.
Step 3: Use her skin to make us all nice lampshades.

This will help prevent the "should have been drowned" people from taking over.