Exhaust in 1993 Altima

leslie

Anyone have an idea of how many manhours are involved in replacing exhaust from catalytic converter back in a 93 Altima (Nissan) ? Needs done badly, Drive Clean must be passed by May 23, debating labour cost/ease vs. savings/doing it by ourselves, don't really want to take it in for quote at this juncture.

Kruz

Staff member
Take my advise on this one... Let an Exaust shop do it!
By the time you get all the parts, tear the old stuff out,(using torches,carbide cutting wheels,hack saws etc) go back to the parts store to buy the stuff you broke trying to get the old system out... start putting the new pipes in(where you find out the clamps are the wrong size, and the pipes don't fit). then you bandage your bleeding knuckles and dig the rust out of your eyes, and start it up.... only to find out it leaks somewhere and have to crawl under the car again... Pay Midas,Muffler King, or ANY one else to do the job! and sit in the waiting room and enjoy a cup of coffee:).

Oh ya! it will probably be cheaper too

leslie

Thanks, Kruz, that's what we were thinking about (done the bleeding knuckles thing) , worth it (somewhat) if there is a $ savings, but if there really isn't and it would be more trouble than it's worth, then we'll take it in. We've been patching it for a good while but the Drive Clean calls that illegal for some reason :confused: :laugh: so we need to get it fixed soon. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll take it! :)

leslie

Ok, question 2 now, once exhaust is done - sometime this week, what are the best ways to get the cleanest clean air test results possible - oil change, filter changes, fuel injector cleaner, go in while engine is hot, anything I'm missing or can omit? ... ???

Gato_Solo

If your car doesn't have plastic in the fuel-line system, dump a quart of Everclear Grain alcohol in the tank, provided you are at less than 3/4 tank... ;) You may need to check your owners manual for that trick, though...

leslie

hmmm, gotta check for plastic - fuel is one place I don't go as a rule. I have a feeling it does have plastic though, I seem to remember a conversation about fish tank hoses... or something like that. I can't remember which car or the purpose though :D

Adding the alcohol would accomplish... ? (cleaning system out?) (temporarily cleaner running?)

Professur

Mushroom at large
And if it's in the fuel pump?

There's two things that I won't attempt on my own. Exhaust and mounting tires. It takes them 20 mins to do a job that would take me hours. It's just not worth it. And they don't have difficulty getting rid of the old crap.

leslie

it's going in tomorrow if all goes as planned. I'm thinking we won't need any extra tweaks now if there is a new exhaust and hubby does a tune up.

leslie

Update, the shop we like can't take it till Wednesday morning, so that gives us till Thursday aft. to get the test done and then renew registration. Hoping all goes smoothly. The quote is $160 cdn for resonator back. Not bad :)

Kruz

Staff member
If the engine is in good tune, you shouldn't have a problem.

p.s. an oil change will drop your Hc a bit (hydrocarbons)

leslie

That's the plan, we're doing that tomorrow or Monday, got the oil and filter today, and air filter, and whatever the valve is called (pcv? pvc? :confused: ) . Hopefully all systems go! :)

Kruz

Staff member
PCV (positive crankcase ventalation) valve... In case you wondered what it stood for:)

leslie

Thanks! I did wonder :lol:

We got one anyway, work still due for today. Cold though, only 10c and no garage :(

leslie

small update - hubby changed spark plugs today. the gap is supposed to be at .043 inches, and the actual was .085 inches :eek: I guess we left that a bit too long :rolleyes: :lol: