Deanril Wrote a article for us.

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
That was a great article Dean! Very well thought out, informative and explained in terms we can all understand. Nice job!

I have a semi-related question. Recently my truck (96 S-10) has been blowing not so cold air from the ac, even on the coldest setting/helicopter speed :D My coolant seems ok, but it's prolly time to get it flushed. I know they don't use freon anymore, so what do they use and how big of a deal is it to get the a/c recharged (or whatever they do)?

Deanril

Your AC has lost freon and needs to be checked out. Typically it cost $30=$60 to have it looked at ,more then likely you have a small leak ,that needs repaired and prolly low a pound or so on either R-12 or R-134a (new stuff).

You cant really do this at home to well so I wont even go there ,take it in ..........with a little luck all you will need is a 1/2 a pound of R134a and youll get out for below $50........

flavio

superfly
Staff member
You should of seen me a few months ago. I had a hole in one of my hoses and was on my way to an interview. I had to stop every 10 minutes to fill up the coolant with water. Wish I would have known about leaving the engine running for that.

Is it true that a pressure test can cause leaks?

S

s4

I had a pressure test blow out a head gasket that was weak. The car ran great before and after it kept getting hot and steaming.

Deanril

Pressure test just pumps up the Cooling system to 16 psi or so ,so we can find the leaks easier ,it wont hurt anything.

The way it works is your car has a 13-16 psi cap ,so theoretically at 3lbs a psi you can go 260 degrees before boil over with a 50/50 mix of coolant/water. 212 boil plus 3lbsx 16psi =260 .

The only reason for is pressure test is so we dont have to heat your car way up ,and possibly cause damage in doing so.

Pump up to 16 psi and look for leaks ,almost imposible for anything bad to happen .

With out a cap you will boil over ,this is a sealed system any leaks you will boil over ect ...... most of the time.

Continued driving of an overheating engine blows head gasket ,also an old engine and you over heat may blow too.

Typically the alluminum head engines blow more when overheated ,due to the dis-similars metals ie alluminum/cast iron.

Some cars are more prone to this aswell due to poor design.