XP

BigDadday

Everday People
Only thing now is when it checked my system it read a few things that can be upgraded/driver wise but this has me perplexed,
UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE CONFIGURATION
"Your computer has hardware devices that prohibit you from upgrading to windows XP"

Highpoint HPT366 Ultra DMA Controller

This was under Blocking Issues. :cry: :cry:

PIII 1ooo MHz
Abit mobo
512 memory
20gb HD
ASus Graphics card
Sound Blaster Live X Gamer sound card
HP cd Writer
Acer cd-rom
Generic Floppy
US Robotics Modem

You get the idea. BD :cry:
:cry:

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
With Win2K, you could tell BEFORE buying it whether it would work with your hardware-not after you spent too much money....

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Microsoft Draws Fire From Consumer Groups
By Jonathan Krim
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, September 26, 2001; 3:57 PM

As it heads back to court Friday for the next phase of the long-running antitrust case against it, Microsoft Corp. is under a fresh round of attacks by consumer groups who claim that the company's new operating system is anticompetitive.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A29254-2001Sep26.html

alex

Damn, I was just informed last night my uncle who works in tech support had just gotten hold of a developers copy of XP and XP Office (doesn't ask for a license #). Is it worth the time to load it?

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
pad,
as long as your system meets the minimum requirements and you have mission critical files backedup. Give it a whirl. I have been beta testing it and its not that bad, a little tweaking and it looks like w2k and just as stable.

alex

yea, I couldn't resist doin something with it. will probably load it on second puter first. need to get a router pronto.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Daddy it's not the harddrive, only the Highpoint controller. Which actually is probably worse.. if you can make do with only the four IDE channels rather than 8, you'd be fine..

But yeah, I think my PCI128 is going to stop me upgrading to XP as well..