Would you really want to sell a computer to this guy?

S

s4

A recent experience in selling computers has caused me to never want to do it again.

First off, I was offering a complete system with a 950 athlon processor, cdrw, monitor, printer for $375. A couple of of the components aren't very new so that is why I only sought to get that much. The mobo, cpu, ram were all new and hardly used.

This guy calls me and starts right off trying to get me to take $300 for it. I said no.

This guy shows up with his girlfriend or wife and their small kid. They seem pretty happy with what I show them. They talk like they want to buy it. I told them I could show them some more about if they had a little time. They said that she had to get to work so the guy promises to come back and says he will bring his brother who knows something about computers. The guy keeps asking me over and over if anything goes wrong with it if I will guarantee it. The guy says he will be back in 30 minutes.

They leave. He comes back with another guy about two point five hours later after he said he had to deliver a fridge to someone. Again he asks me what if it goes bad in two weeks or something if I will make guarantee it. Again I told him no. He says he will be back with a different guy to help him look at it. I begin talking about how the printer is a cheap one.

A little later 3 guys show up. I tell them I am reformatting the hard drive to clean it up so the os will be fresh. He doesn't understand what that means. Again he asks me if I will guarantee it. Again I say no. I tell them I will call them when I have everything installed again.

I call them and tell them I have the os installed but can't find a driver for the modem anywhere on the web. I haven't heard from them since.

Commentary: would you sell a computer to someone that knows nothing about computers that wants you to teach them how to use it and guarantee that if they fuck it up that you will give them their money back? I am not independantly wealthy and cannot afford to sit on the money while he fucks it up and wants to return it. I am not DELL or GATEWAY and do not provide customer service or warrantys. Besides, the guy doesn't even know how to turn on a computer and has never had one before. You think a used computer is gonna be a good place to start?

Based on this. My computer selling days are over and I am not fucking shitting.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
You are not obligated IN ANY WAY to guarantee an item sold privately. There has actually been a ruling by at least one court on this, regarding garage sales. So screw 'em. Also, why did you offer an OS? Unless you're giving them the cd-rom, that's piracy, so be careful:D

Hell yes I'd sell to an idiot. I just wouldn't return phone calls after the sale (cash) was done.

S

s4

No I had a cd. Everything else was either shareware or freeware on it.

It's like this. I was showing the guy that it worked right there on the spot. He wanted to get the computer and use it for a while and expect a refund if he didn't like it.

I am finished selling computers and will never do it again. I may sell a component or something like a cd drive or a modem, but I will never offer up a complete system again to anyone.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Since I've been selling computers for five years, I would say no. One way or another, someone like that always comes back...how do you do this or that, what can't I do this or that. He can call and call and you could ignore him, but he knows where you live. He'll just come over. Most likely with the friggin computer.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
You could sell it on Ebay or a hardware "Sale/Trade" forum and that way you don't have to see the person.

S

s4

Flavio has an idea. Sometimes, I wish that I knew more about ebay.

Postcode is right on with what he said. I had a guy drive me clear out of my mind a couple of years ago. I sold him a comp and he called asking for computer help on any little thing. I got sick of it and told him I didn't have the time.

I just can't take dealing with this anymore. Never do I want to sell one again. I can't take it.