Would anyone be interested in me setting up a game server?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Apparently you can rent them out now. :hmm: If anyone here remembers when we used to play on heat.net over at the lightside; their servers were crappy but at least we could make private rooms and I was thinking of getting a private server.

Which game? Q3? D3? UT2k4? HL2DM? others? Let me know; I might cross-post this over there...

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Right now I'm with dial-up so I don't think I could contribute. Rigth now I have Q3 and D3. What's the Dm stands for in HL2?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Theres HL2 and then theres HL2DM; haven't really fooled with it yet.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Well, I'll need something to test out this bad boy; funny thing is there are 2 versions of this card (VIVO and non-VIVO). I ordered the non; they sent me the vivo version. Oh well. ;)

850xt.jpg

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yes I did. :D

The AGP is actually about $40 cheaper than the PCI-x

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
A vanilla 6800. All my scores are up, except for Doom3. I'm losing 5-10 fps. I know Carmack's engines favor nVidia, but still...

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
what ya doing with the 6800? i may be interested iin it if its agp. :)

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
well PM me if your thinking of getting rid of it. And what youd want for it.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
$5 billllllllllllion dollars...

$100 obo; PM me your addy. I'll send it out next week.

Professur

Mushroom at large
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=23005

Jumped too soon, Huge.

SAPPHIRE is launching an X800XL card with 512MB of memory and believes that gamers will be well up for it.
Maybe they will, as 512MB memory sounds twice as good as 256MB, but we are very sceptical about any real life performance increase that you will gain with extra memory, at last for the time being.

We lived with 256MB cards as the most memory you could get, dedicated to graphics and now its time to start getting used to 512MB monsters.

Sapphire's X800XL 512MB uses a PCIe 16x slot and it boasts 16 pipelines and six vertex Shader units. The card is equipped with Dual DVI and VIVO port for your connectivity.

You will be able to tune the card with Sapphire's newly introduced TRIXX overclocking tool. It comes with a choice of games or software bundles. The bundle depends on the model.

We hear that these 512MX X800XL cards have been sampled and we expect them in retail soon.

These memory busters were planned six months ago but the relatively high cost of memory put them on hold. Now, the first retail cards with 512MB are actually appearing.

From Nvidia's side, we hear that EVGA has 512MB 6800 Ultra cards shipped by Alienware for its gaming systems.

The memory numbers game just went into overdrive. µ

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Mine's still a little faster than an 800xl. But I got tired of waiting for these to appear.

Falcon-NW is building systems with 2 of those 512mB GF6800U's; let's just say it's not cheap. :p

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
BTW, I haven't forgotten about the original reason for this post; I'm still shopping around. I'll probably throw up a UT2k4 server, but I'm still waiting for Atari to get their shit together about pricing.