WinXP tip of the day #5

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
I know it's been a while, I've been busy. I've been messing around with XP a lot, and have had many driver issues and such. PLUS, everything I download is corrupt,making it exceedingly difficult to download drivers....

Anyways, I'm back and i'll post a few more XP tips, 3 perhaps, tonight. I hope you enjoyed the last 4!

5) XP will ship with out the Virtual Java Machine.
It will not appear on windows update either. Some sites will prompt you to install it upon visit to their sites. However this might change in the near future due to the problem between SUN and MS so the link you get pointed to might no be there.

You can get the virtual Java machine now and have it ready to use when you install XP.

go to:

<http://www.microsoft.com/java/>

and download the VJM for winNT. If you try to d/l the one for win2000 (which is exactly the same as the one for NT) you will be told to get the service pack. You don't want to do this for XP.

or download it from:

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/vm/Install/3802/W9X2KMe/EN-US/msjavx86.exe>

keep it in a safe place and use it when you install XP.

Another solution, the one I'm using, is to install the Java Runtime (JRE)Evironment. This obviously isn't a solution for everyone, as the download is some 20 odd mb, but it works quite nicely for me. I'm writing and learning Java, so I have the Java Software Development Kit(SDK) installed, that's how I know about it! The 1.4.0 beta 3 Virtual Machine that the JRE sets the browser to use is VERY nice. The crappy MS one only supports Java 1.0 and 1.1, so many of the newer features in 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 aren't implemented well, or at all.

Most people will never notice a thing, but it makes a huge difference to me. As always, I'm here to answer any questions! Email notification is own, so I'm sure to hear them =)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks, brainy, I'll be sure and download that next time I get a chance :cool: (I'm currently downloading a 30 meg compressed mysql dump :smash: )

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I use Win2k, I don't need to install this java virtual machine :D