Windows XP and IBM

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Oh I do love Microsoft....NOT!!!!!!!!!! Well, I've been dinkin' around with XP on and off now for a few months (as I support this OS for customers, I have to at leave know what it has) and have come across an odd problem. I can install XP on a 10GB or 20GB drive I have, UDMA66 Western Digital drives with no problems. Runs great (GOD THAT IS ONE UGLY BACKGROUND THOUGH! :) ). I have two 40GB IBM drives which I can install Windows 98, Windows 95, WIndows NT, Windows 2000, and RedHat Linux 6.2, 7.1 and 7.2, BeOS, FreeBSD, Debian, Slackware, Redmond Linux, and I think I even tried UnixWare once, on to. But, I cannot install XP. Each and every time with an install of XP I get the following STOP message on the initial reboot:

STOP 0x0000007B
INACCESSIBLE_ BOOT_DEVICE

My system is
1.s Gig T-Bird
768MB PC-133
GigaByte GA-71XEH
G-Force 2 MX-200 32MB
D-Link 10/100 PCI
Acer 8x4x32x CDRW (Don't laugh, this thing STILL works after 2 years)
Sony 52X CD-ROM
Sound Blaster Live Value
Floppy
PS/2 MS Optical
MS Keyboard

Anyway, this sytem is rock solid. I've got a 350W power supply in here that I've taken care to measure the output of the 12V and 5V output for a 12 hour period. No fluctuations at all. Running the whole shabang through a APC BackUPS 500. Works great. I've tried various scheme's of BIOS settings to get this thing to work also. In the end, what I really want to know is does anyone else out there have any issues with installing WindowsXP (eXPerimental :retard: ) on a IBM hard drive?

Not that I plan on actually using that OS as Linux LOVES my IBM drives....not that I do though.

I bet it's an old IBM vs. Microsoft relationship here. hehehe

fury

Administrator
Staff member
IBM 75gxp 60gb, no problems installing XP here :cool:

You must just have bad luck with IBM drives. :retard:

Acid

stud
60gxp. no probs. you saw what I said in irc. but from the looks, it wouldn't help :(

try calling ibm?

Brewmeister

Could XP think it loaded the right driver but actually only loaded somethink close. Try loading a manufacturer's driver for the drive controller (In Win2000 you hit F6 to load a different driver, I don't know if it's the same in XP). You might need to manually load the cd rom drivers, also. I've seen this type of problem in Compaq servers where Microsoft thinks it identifies the scsi controller, but not well enough to actually work.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I'm going to be playing around with it again this weekend. Will report back my results.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
XP loaded once on my 6GB Fujitsu but REFUSES to load on my Maxtor 7200RPM 27GB. It will do all the initial shit, then upon reboot, more often than not I get a memory eror, there's been 3 of them. And, at MS Knowledge base, NOT ONE of the codes show up. Go figure, eh. So, I'll wait until 2002 when I build a speedster to retry.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
A little persistance and a guy can figure out anything. Figured it out. With ANY other drive I can load XP just fine with any settings I choose in the BIOS. However, with these 40GB 60GXP drives, I cannot overclock my system. I took the time to try every setting, one at a time, until that one setting allowed XP to boot. If I run at 1.2GHz I cannot run XP on the drive. At 1GHz I can. On any other drive I can run it at 1.2GHz just fine. So I truely believe that IBM's drives suck big time. I have a SLOWER drive connected and I can run the system at top speed but with this FASTER drive I have to slow the system down. [rantmode]BITE ME IBM! I'LL NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER PRODUCT FROM YOUR SORRY ASS COMPANY!!![/rantmode]

Needless to say, the WD 20GB drive is now running XP and my two IBM 40GB drives are going to be used for Linux.