Windows 98 not recognising CD-ROm, AAAGGGGHHHH!!!

Tenjah

Hello,

Perhaps someone could help me.

I have just installed windows 98/Linux mandrake 8.0 dual boot.

Linux detects nearly all of my peripherals/drives/etc correctly, Win98 is chugging along in 16 colours (obviously i just haven;t loaded the display drivers), no sound, and, here is the problem; my cd drive is not being recognised!!

It was detected for 10 mins or so just after installation. Since then, nothing. The generic windows drivers should be fine with it.

I am at work right now, but will get more information and post later, however, here is an outline..

I get absolutely no detection of the cd-rom. In device manager, "MS-Dos compatibility mode" is on, I briefly found this out b4 I left for work, and it needs more investigation.

A friend thinks that it could be jumper settings/bios settings on the cd rom. BUT, it all worked fine with my previous setup (Windoze ME)

Anyone.?????

greenfreak

I think you're in Safe Mode-that would explain the 'MS-DOS compatibility mode' and the CD Rom not being available. Restart the computer and after the initial BIOS screen dissapears, press F8 to get the Windows start menu. See if you can choose #1 Normal or not.

Justintime

Something
yes, try F8 or CTRL before you see the windows startup logo.

if the 16 colour is just due to the display adapter drivers not installed yet, and you're in normal startup, in device manager go to hard disk controllers, and look for any yellow ? or ! signs, if they are like that, suggest you remove the Busmaster IDE controler, which should be found under the primary and secondary IDE controllers, restart the system and let it redetect the channels, if that fails, suggest you get the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard, it will install the correct IDE channel driver onto your system and hopefully solve the issue. For funs sake, look into the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\SCSI and see if your CD-ROM is listed, if it is, then its likely a driver issue with the bus master controller, or indirectly the primary/secondary controllers, update the chipset drivers, go to the manufacturers site and download them, state the motherboard model if you need any help finding the drivers.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Justintime has got it. The first thing I would do when taking down a problem like that would be to update the chipset drivers (VIA 4 in 1 in my case).

What chipset do you have on it?