WinALL tip of the day #8

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
This is true for all windows machines, hell for all machines, but some people don't realize that you don't need a hub for such a small LAN. ICS is VERY easy to set up, so this is idea for a 2-comp LAN.

8) Wanna network but don't have all the stuff?
If you want to network two winXP machines together you don't have to install a full blown network setup, i.e...switches, hubs, routers, etc...

All you need is two NIC cards (three if you want to share an Internet connection) and a cross over cable.

1. Connect one NIC to your broadband connection device like normal.
2. Install a second NIC in the machine with the broadband connection.
3. install a NIC in the second machine.
4. connect the cross over cable between the second machine NIC and the second NIC in the board band connection machine.
5. re-boot both.
6. Run the networking wizard if necessary.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I have a hub anyway, so I might as well use it so I don't have to deal with going out and buying a special crossover cable :o

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
I think I'l always use a hub regardless.. there's just something not right about a hubless network.. just seems a little too wimpy.. ;)

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
My lan had 6 computers and no hub.... it's slow.

There is a big old HP hub in the loop, though my machine is the only one hooked up to it right now, the BNC just goes to the hub. Don't have the money lying aroudn to buy new cable and cards

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It is? I always thought using a crossover cable instead of a hub would be a bit harder to set up but faster, cause of not having to deal with a hub.

brainsoft

Co-founder/alumni
The lan here is all BNC, except half of the bridged network connection from my box, half of it goes to the hub, which is just connected to the bnc too.