Win2k + K6-2 400 + 128mb ram = Make way for the turtle

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Any caveats I should be aware of before I head into this?

I thought I would probably ditch the main hard drive (1.86gb) in favor of installing it on the faster (and larger; about 8 gb partitioned into 2.0 and 5.9) secondary

The reason for going Win2k is that dad needs to use a program that will ONLY run on Win2k :hmm:

Formatting is not an option (NOT an option. NO. NADA.)

So anyways, if win2k works, how would I go about the cleanest method of removing Windows 98, and if win2k flops, how would I go about the cleanest method of removing win2k?

ris

i am my my own evil twin
if the hdd already has win98 on it then dual boot with win2k.

that way if it screws up you can remove win2k and change the boot info back easily enough.

as to how to remove win98 if you don't need it i'm not sure - you might be able to do the same thing. :eh:

i am practically in that position now - i have a redundant copy of win98 that is sitting pretty at the head of my drive. i suppose i could convert it to win2k and then delete the current win2k but i have no idea what would happen.

best to have a program like PQ partition magic on hand for all the moving and creating of partitions.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Well, my original plan to install it on the larger drive didn't work out too well. Apparently the boot sector of the drive is corrupt or something along those lines. Each time I tried installing win2k on it (tried using 2 different CDs, and tried formatting FAT32, tried formatting NTFS, etc) it would come up with an "INVLD OS. Press any key..." screen. The any key press leading to a reboot of the computer, no less :retard:

So I switched the hard drives back, knowing that the old OS could be returned just as easily. NOOOO, the hard drive has to go postal on me. The registry and registry backups all became corrupted all the way back to the registry that was created when the operating system was first installed. YEARS AGO. All the hardware drivers were lost, all the configuration was kaput, and a bunch of files began to start erasing themselves from the drive. The last vital signs I got from it were 15 dialog boxes naming files that it couldn't find, and then an Explorer crash.

That'll teach me not to rely on Windows 98 ever again :rolleyes:

After tearing my hair out and nearly having a heart attack, I finally get to sleep. I wake up, and dad has got the rackin' frackin' thing installed on the other hard drive (yes, the smaller and slower one :o). Good idea, glad I thought of it :wave:

So far the computer is working perfectly, and is of course, running Genome for OCN :beerchug:

With windows 98, there was an extreme case of hard drive thrashing whenever something was opened, I'm talking about 20-30 seconds of churning. Now, nothing out of the ordinary of swap file usage.

Now that the OS is up and running, any tips as to how I might be able to optimize performance would be appreciated.

:)