Why does my pc keep overheating and rebooting??

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
:rolleyes:

pc.jpg

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna say your fan doesn't work...it doesn't look like you have a build up of dust and a broke fan or build up of dust are the only two things I know that cause a PC to overheat...

In case you haven't figured it out, I know next to nothing about the inner workings of computers, please ignore my opinions :D

Inkara1

I'm gonna say your fan doesn't work...it doesn't look like you have a build up of dust and a broke fan or build up of dust are the only two things I know that cause a PC to overheat...

In case you haven't figured it out, I know next to nothing about the inner workings of computers, please ignore my opinions :D

Tsk tsk tsk... Allow me to teach you another lesson in the inner workings of a PC.

That silver chip with the gray dot on it... that's the processor. Modern processors generate a lot of heat, and this need a sophisticated heatsink/fan combo in order to dissipate the heat. A heatsink/fan that's sort of like what's attached to the back of the case right now.

The strange thing is that the gray dot on the silver chip is heatsink compound... you put that between the chip and the heatsink to fill in the microscopic scratches, ridges, etc. so that there are no little pockets of air that would make the heat transfer less efficient. That implies that the heatsink was installed at one point.

This lesson was brought to you by the letters P and U and the numbers 6 and 9.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Remeber when the Athlon XP's came out without a heat spreader? Soooo many people had never seen that before, and had no idea what thermal paste was.

Lotta guys learned that an athy without contact to the the heatsink burns up in 6 seconds.

Nixy

Administrator
Staff member
Tsk tsk tsk... Allow me to teach you another lesson in the inner workings of a PC.

That silver chip with the gray dot on it... that's the processor. Modern processors generate a lot of heat, and this need a sophisticated heatsink/fan combo in order to dissipate the heat. A heatsink/fan that's sort of like what's attached to the back of the case right now.

The strange thing is that the gray dot on the silver chip is heatsink compound... you put that between the chip and the heatsink to fill in the microscopic scratches, ridges, etc. so that there are no little pockets of air that would make the heat transfer less efficient. That implies that the heatsink was installed at one point.

This lesson was brought to you by the letters P and U and the numbers 6 and 9.

I knew all that stuff actually...I did date a computer nerd for over 2 hours. I was being silly, and I didn't notice that the processor was without a heatsink/fan.

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Really lucky if that thing didn't burn completely. I had a co-worker on last job that attached the Motherboard straight on the plate without spacers. Was a miracle he didn't just right out fry the thing.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
What, he used longer screws to clamp it directly into the holes for the stand-offs? Wow! He's a real MENSA member, isn't he?

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
Hehe, he almost got what he deserved. Our tech support offered to build his PC at the shop. And I asked him if he had ever built a computer before. He insisted in taking the parts home and doing himself without asking for advice...