Why do so many hate ME?

markjs

QuackHead
I feel so alone! (psych!) I am running Win ME and have few problems with it....why do so many people hate it? I find it more stable than any version of 98.... :cool:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I run ME on my work machine. Suddenly, and I do mean this as I don't have a clue how it could have started, it started updating on it's own. It dosen't tell me what it's updating or why or even that it's updating. If I'm fortunate enough, I'll notice the infamous globe in the sys tray with the stupid flag on it and it'll tell me it's updating "crucial system components"....uh huh.. So, how in the hell did this happen? I never went to MS's site before this happened...odd. The part the pisses me off the most is the rebooting now bit...right in the middle of a document and it decides that this is a great time to reboot. Machine has been scan from head to toe and ever orifice included for viri...none. Reinstalled the OS...same thing. *sigh*

fury

Administrator
Staff member
PC: Maybe it's because microsoft slipped some greenbacks in all the major antivirus companies' back pockets to make sure they don't record Windows Me as a virus :eek:

You are one of the very few lucky ones, mark, because the OS has incompatibilities with some hardware and some software (like that which requires real-mode DOS to run)

There are a lot of features turned on by default that make the OS unstable, resource hogging, and more of an overhead on CPU resources. Like Postcode said, it updates when it wants to without warning, and that can introduce certain security risks.

I found the fact that it tried to hide my own drive from me appalling, and no matter how hard I tried turning Web view off, it would just keep coming and coming.

It's like MS telling you where you can and you can't go, what you can and you can't do, etc etc. Call me nuts, but I also had this really uneasy feeling in my stomach the whole time I used ME.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Oh we have a headache with it....our billing software runs in DOS. Lukly we "discovered" the right number of FILES= to add. My single biggest complaint is the fact that when this POS chrashes, it is ALWAYS when I'm in IE. It has never crashed in any other program yet. ALWAYS IE.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I had ME installed less than 2 days when it became worse than 98SE ever was. So, NEO got the disc & I got 98 back (whooopppppeeeeee). It had great potential, unfortunately, it sucked. :cool:

S

s4

I use WinME all the time. I rarely have a problem with it. The first thing I do after an install is turn automatic updating off. I also disabled scandisk after a bad shut down. One time I couldn't get back in because scandisk kept freezing. I also disable PCHealth and System Restore. There are things that you can do to make this os usable.

Also, I don't let IE automatically look for updates.

[ June 04, 2001: Message edited by s4 ]

Deanril

Me is a discusting little os ,oh yeah it boots fast! and is still booting forever in the background ,its short lived life span ,and incompatabilities lack of dos ,the list goes on and on...........

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Originally posted by s4:
<STRONG>There are things that you can do to make this os usable.
</STRONG>

You shouldn't have to "do things" to make an OS usable. It should be usable right from the start. If it isn't then there's something seriously wrong.

But bear in mind this isn't a tweaker's OS. It's for the average Joe who doens't know a driver from a chauffeur.. for him those "features" that we turn off will be most useful.

K

krusty

I agree with a13, most ppl don't even realise they can right click to do stuff.

I haven't used ME, but by now, it should be the most compatible easily managed OS in the world, MS has had enough practice... sheesh.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Well like I said, it only sucks if you're looking at it fom a Power-User viewpoint. Those people shouldn't be using ME anyway.
That's like Nigel Mansell getting into an automatic Toyota Corolla & saying it sucks because it doesn't do what he wants it to do. It wasn't built for him & he's not going to get much enjoyment out of using it.
:)