Which one??

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
I know it's been asked a thousand times.. but I just wouldn't be able to consider mytself a Linux newbie if I didn't ask it again.. :D

So.. it's going on a P133 w/ 32Mb SD-RAM, on-board sound & video, 2Gb drive. :)

Don't want cmd-line install.. might get to that eventually but right now a non-windows system is my first priority :D.

Which of them if not all can run StarOffice?? :)

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Drake 8 will pretty much fill the drive up. However, keep in mind that Drake comes with the latest Window managers. KDE 2 and Gnome both. These will put quite a strain on the system performance. I wouldn't try them with a 133. Go for 7 or 7.1.

glussier

I agree, Mandrake 7.1 is the better choice. Hardware detection is everybit as good (except for usb support which is limited in 7.1, thought I managed to get network usb, keyboard and usb mouse working). Mandrake 8 is slow loading on a new computer, imagine on your p133, if you want to run v8 anyway, get at least 64mb and I recommend 128mb for it to run properly.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Heh sweet.. not too bothered which one, just as long as it runs sweet. There'll be no USB components as it's an oooooolld machine so that's easy.

I will be wanting to run it as a firewall eventually though so whatever's best for that.. :)

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Another advantage to Mandrake is that it is 99% compatible with RedHat so you can use RedHat RPM's with it. The advantage to Mandrake RPM's is that they have been compiled to optimize performance on Pentium class processors.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I beleive that Mandrake 7 has a better driver database than RedHat 6.x does. Besides that, it comes with a lot more programs than Redhat does and sets everything up fairly nicely. Pretty simple to install, but very flexible. RedHat 6.x is good though. Still get a lot of stuff with it. You just wanna get the powertools cd if you can.

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Okay well in the end I've gone for Mandrake 7.1, courtesy of krusty..

It's going to be used as a firewall/internet server. So could ya point me in the direction of a few good pages related to setup of firewalls, etc, & what it can & can't do?? Would be awesome man.. cheers. :)