What time is it?

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Everytime I shut down my computer is looses 12hours and 19 minutes. Why? The right time zone has been selected. Please help. It's not a major thing, but everytime I reboot my system(which if you have win98 you know its every hour on the hour) I or turn it on in the morning have to reset the time.

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Windows is resetting to the time in your BIOS everry time you fire it up. As you turn the machine on, hit the delete key to get inot your BIOS set-up. The time should be on the very first screen, and I'm betting it's wrong. Change it to the right time, save settings and exit. Your problem should disappear.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
I didn't even think to check in there. Guess thats why I'm a printer guy and not a computer guy.

Anyway the time was correct in the Bios.
What now Mr.computer man? :D

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
What now Mr.computer man?

[Mr. Spock] Fascinating [/Mr. Spock]

That's the issue 99% of the time in my experience. You may have me stumped, here. Lemme research.

BTW, sarcasm is not the way to get continued help. Some people... :D

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
OK, Fuser, what proggies are running in the background? Some 3rd party software can cause this, especially Norton AV.

I doubt this is the issue, since it's happening at start-up, but let's give it a look before we disable Advanced Power Management in the BIOS (which would be our next step).

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Originally posted by Fuser Man

What now Mr.computer man? :D

In that case simply set your BIOS time 12hrs & 19min forward.. then you'll have the right time when it boots up & jumps backwards... :D

flurff

Your CMOS battery is dying. Replace it.

I've seen many different symptoms of a dying CMOS battery, ranging from windows forgetting to update the time in the clock display at the lower right until you click the mouse, to the computer forgetting to turn on when it is given power. This is one of them.