What is your favorite distro, desktop environment and applications?

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
I am just curious what everbody is running and using in Linux?

I am running the downloaded version of Mandrake 8.0 with KDE2 as my desktop. I am dual booting with Windoze98 on a 500Mhz AMD w/ 128MB Ram, Voodoo3 card, 20GB IDE and 10GB SCSI drives, Teac CDW54E 4x4x32 CDRW, Umax Astra 1220S SCSI scanner, Epson Stylus Color 600 printer and Elsa MicroLink 56K external voice modem.

The install was SWEEEEEET! All devices except network card were detected during setup and internet connection was ready at first boot.

Right now I have been using a combination of ERoaster and KOnCD for CD Burning, XSane for scanning, Mozilla for browsing and E-mail. I have a copy of Corel Office for Linux and am going to pick up Star Office 5.2 (since Corel sold out to the Devil!). Haven't loaded any cool games yet but am thinking about Tribes2, Heretic2, Unreal Tournament. I am also looking for software to use with my voice modem as an answering machine, and desktop faxing software, any suggestions?

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Running RedHat 7.1 here. I use KDE 2 myself...never did like using Gnome. For burning, I've always used XCDRoast with cdrecord. Word processing is whatever..I use KWrite, Kedit, AbiWord, joe, jed, NEdit...whatever..hehe. I use GPhoto for my camera and my scanner isn't supported in XSane (parallel port POS). My favorite app is VMWare. Load Windows in here so i can run the occasional MS app that needs to be run (I do have people who send me these damn Excel worksheets or Word documents). Star Offfice 5.2 is installed, but I rarely use it as it's bloated. Licq, Mozilla 0.7, and Konquerer. I think Konquerer does a better good then mozilla does myself and loads faster. Oh, and I NEVER use Netscape.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Thanks for the input! :D I really want to change my default boot to Linux but I need voice mail software to replace my existing Windoze functionality. I do have a copy of Win4Lin though and might have to try and use it to run my existing software if I can't come up with a Linux alternative.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
You're right Konqueror is faster than the 0.8 version of Mozilla I was using. I just downloaded and installed the 0.91 version of Mozilla and it is much better but still slightly slower than Konqueror. Tonight, however, I am using it because when I tried to get into xibase with Konqueror I couldn't get here!!! I got a page with the current color scheme but no way to get into the forums. I switched back to the new Mozilla and...here I is! :D

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
RE: The voice application for linux... I am investigating Kphonecenter but it is not available in an RPM and when I ran ./configure after unzipping the tarball it said I was missing "libz..." Any idea what package I need to install to get "libz"?