Whacked story of the day

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Those wacky Norwegians and their phonebooks. :retard:

[quoteurl=http://abcnews.go.com/wire/World/ap20030120_724.html]Donald Duck, bin Laden in Phone Books
Donald Duck, Osama Bin Laden, James Bond All Listed in Norwegian Phone Books

The Associated Press

OSLO, Norway Jan. 20 —
In Norway, it's okay to have a phony phone listing like Donald Duck or Osama bin Laden, but if a widow wants to use her late husband's name, it's against the rules.

That made national news when 82-year-old Odny Fotland complained to Norway's biggest newspaper, Verdens Gang, that the phone directory's publisher wouldn't let her keep using her late husband's name.

"I don't want to be listed as a single woman. I would feel more exposed to theft and break-ins," she told the newspaper Monday.

However, Findexa AS, which publishes the nation's phone books and databases, refused. It said the person who pays for the phone service is the person who must be listed.

Findexa spokeswoman Gro Ismar said that subscribers like Fotland can use a gender-neutral name, such as O. Fotland.

But if that's the case, why are there three Donald Ducks in the directory and three James Bonds, two listings for Superman (one with a Krypton address), as well as Harry Potter and Batman?

Yet another person is in the phone book under Osama bin Laden. His address is listed as Lantkvekistan (Far away-stan) in Norway's northernmost county, Finnmark.

"Those are all cash card phones," Ismar said.

She said some mobile phone users pay in advance for a card that lets them make calls for a specific amount. Some of them register with various phone providers using the false names. Those false names, and locations, are sent to Findexa's national database.[/quoteurl]

Professur

Mushroom at large
Deadly. She can't even get a legal namechange. She's stuck with her maiden name for life. Even if she just moved here and hasn't used it in 20 years.