We forgot to celebrate Columbus Day

S

s4

Every hurry out and get drunk in honor of Columbus Day. Some interesting facts:

[QUOTEURL=http://www.bright.net/~jimsjems/columbus.html]Columbus Day
Second Monday in October

1792 a ceremony organized by the Society of St. Tammany, or Colombian Order was held in New York City honoring Columbus and the 300th anniversary of the landing.

Oct. 12 1866 out of the pride for their native son, the Italian population of New York organized the first celebration of the discovery of America.

1869 when Italians in San Francisco celebrated Oct. 12 they called it Columbus Day.

1892 President Benjamin Harrison proclaimed the 400th anniversary of the event.

1905 Colorado became the first state to observe a Columbus Day.

Since 1920 the day has been celebrated annually.

1937 President Franklin Roosevelt proclaimed every Oct. 12 as Columbus Day.

1968 President Johnson declared it a federal public holiday on the 2nd Mon. in Oct.

Historically, Columbus was not the first to discover America, nor was he the first European to land at America. He was the first to exploit, kill, and enslave the Arawak Indians of Haiti.

The myth of Christopher Columbus and the discovery of America is due to Washington Irving. His "biography" of Columbus was popularized in a dramatic and embellished account.

In recent years, the holiday has been rejected by many people who view it as a celebration of conquest and genocide. In its place, Indigenous Peoples Day is celebrated.

[/QUOTEURL]

unclehobart

this is my special title
I celebrated Columbus Day. HomeLANs job works closely with the fed reserve and banking industry. Every time there is a fed holiday, HomeLAN has a holiday. I was hanging out with him all that day.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
The rather amusing part is he never actually set foot in "America". It was the islands off the South American coast. I never got an answer, when I was in hi scruel, about-"If Coloumbus discovered America, why is it named after Amerigo Vespucci?"

We can't celebrate Columbus Day anymore, anyway-it's not politicaly correct, it's now a day to wish he never showed up & killed the locals. *brought to you by the same people that are sitting in SF with thier no war banners*

unclehobart

this is my special title
Not PC? ...hee hee.

Heck, I celebrate Hitlers birthday. Hows that for PC?
It just happens to be on a cousins birthday. I call up every year and say 'happy birthday hitler'. Its our own little inside joke.

br0ck

I celebrate Charles Manson's birthday. It falls on the same day as mine as well. Same little inside joke here to UncleHobart, my gf calls me Charlie on my birthday. errrrr!!!! :rolleyes: