Was just talking to someone about their new puter...

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Abit AT7 Max, Athlon XP 2600+, DDR 400 RAM, dual WD 1200JB's in RAID, and possibly a Radeon 9000 or 9700.

And he's thinking about having me set it up :D :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
1 gig of PC3500 ram... ohhh baby :drool:

He's going with the Radeon 9000 since he's going to be doing mostly video/audio processing and doesn't need the extremely fast gaming graphics kinda stuff...

dEaN

Hardware Reviewer
fury said:
Abit AT7 Max, Athlon XP 2600+, DDR 400 RAM, dual WD 1200JB's in RAID, and possibly a Radeon 9000 or 9700.

And he's thinking about having me set it up :D :D

You mean Abit AT7-MAX2? That's the KT400 board :) He might be better off waiting for the nForce2-based boards. The ASUS A7N8X looks to be a very good board, and the EPoX one promises to be cheaper and OC better. Since what he's doing requires high bandwidth and low latencies...nForce2 would probably be the optimal choice...

As for the XP2600+...when does he want this system? As it stands, the 2600+ isn't available and won't be widely available for some time yet.

All the other stuff sounds good :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Should arrive sometime this week... can't wait to try out that corsair xms stuff :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It all finally arrived this month, and after replacing the dead 300w generic power supply (unlike the 350w Enermax it was supposed to be) with a 430w Antec, got it all set up. Son of a BITCH, that thing's fast! :eek:

Abit AT7-MAX2
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (133)
Coolermaster copper heatsink with thin fins and a fan that sounds close to a Delta screamer (it's 60mm and 7000rpm)
1gb Corsair XMS PC3500 ram (2x512mb) running at 400 CAS2.5 (wouldn't work at CAS2 for some reason)
2x120gb WD in RAID0 (Striping)
Sapphire Radeon 9000 Atlantis 128mb
Some kind of CD-RW (all I know is it wrote about 250 megs to a CD in 30 seconds)
HP DVD-Writer
Viewsonic 17" flat panel monitor, 1280x1024 max

I didn't get a chance to try any benchmarks out on it yet because none of the CDs I burned with worked in his computer. Actually they don't even work in mine anymore. :(

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Beautifully. Thanks for the help :D

I don't think I've ever installed Windows that fast. It was maybe 5-10 minutes. Then it takes about 10 seconds from after the RAID controller's drive autodetect (which itself takes about 20-30) to the Windows desktop.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
No kidding. The RAID controller seems to take forever to see the array.

Glad to hear it went so well. Makes you wanna do the same for your own system aye? :)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Hell yes... god, I want some of that RAID action. A gig of DDR400 memory wouldn't hurt either :o

Acid

stud
odd. when i posted that, how it takes you to the 'THANK YOU PAGE', it entered an endless loop and i kept hearing it click in the background, and kept reloading. rofl :D

AMDnut

Eee equals emcee squared...
fury - Is there any way you could get me a few benchmarks of the RAID array?

Something like HDD Tach or Sandra would do fine....

I'm building a similar, although slightly slower rig, and will be sitting up a new RAID array. I want to see what the WD drives with 8mb cache do compared to my current Maxtor striped array...

Thanks in advance if you can!