Very similar problem to Mark's Win2k sound issue..

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
.. but sorta reversed.

Rather than the standard Chord.wav it makes this sorta metallic whistling sound; it's actually quite a cool sound & I thought it was a feature, rather than a bug ( :rolleyes: ). It's a lot like a sonar pulse sound but with some static thrown in for good measure (
shrug.gif
).

When I start up Winamp, it won't get passed the first second or two.. it'll sorta stutter with this whistling sound, continuously.. if I move the slider it'll move without a problem but give the same repetitive pulse-noise, just at the different place in the track.

When I start up Windows, it'll play the standard Start-up sound, but about halfway through the warbling/sonar sound will take over.

But this is the really queer thing: when the system is under load, it's totally not an issue - everything plays perfectly without complaint. The reason I woulnd't have noticed it before is that I've never run the system without it being under load; i.e., always had the Genome@home client running in the background.

I've tried replacing the drivers for the sound card as well.. no difference. It does it both for me & the admin logon. It is slightly less serious with the new drivers but still unusable.

Win2k w/SP2.
SB PCI 128 oct 2001 win2k drivers
VIA 4in1 4.35

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Wow that is really odd. I've experienced the exact opposite with an SB16 ISA... when under extreme high load (such as accessing a drive when it is in PIO mode) the sound would garble and make that metallic/warbled whistling sound.

If it were the same case I would suggest doublechecking your drives and see if they're on DMA, but since it is happening when your system is not under load, I don't know what to say :(