Vanta LT locks up in UT but not in Q3?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
As i was testing out my duron system yesterday, I noticed that it can play Q3 pretty damn fast for an 8 meg card (I just have to lower the resolution and use 16 bit mode... lol) so I wanted to check out UT with it...

So I set it up and tried to start it, and it came up windowed (I think that's my monitor's fault though, it only does 800x600)

When I switched it to full screen 640x480, it started playing for a few seconds and then locked up.

I doubt that was the processor's fault because it did Genome all the time (before the socket clip mount broke off)

Is my Vanta LT incompatible or something? I doubt it's getting way too hot to operate because like I said earlier, Q3 works just fine with it (and pretty fast at that)

I'd appreciate any suggestions

fury

Administrator
Staff member
yup, pretty sure...

when the game locked up, I was almost definitely sure it was because of something about the video cause as SOON as I set it to run full screened, it locked up.

markjs

QuackHead
I had the same type of card and it played UT juts fine, but then UT is much harder on hardware than Q3A is....try drivers....and are you using OpenGL or Direct3D rendering? I always use D3D in UT with nVIDIA cards.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
D3d

I think the card may be slightly unstable because of the heat in the case.

The only fans I have in that system are on the chipset, CPU, and in the power supply, so the video card is producing heat and it is not being actively taken away from the sink, so it's just building up heat until, I guess, it bursts in UT.

But I thought UT was influenced more by the CPU than by anything else. The CPU is rock solid stable (I've done about 5 different stability tests on it)