Unreal Tournament 2003 (w/ screenshots)

fury

Administrator
Staff member
It's the most advanced game I've ever seen to date. Period. And I've only got the leak.

The Karma physics are everything that they're hyped up to be; you can indeed toss someone up against the wall and they'll smack it and fall realistically, and you can shoot someone across the floor after they're dead, and their arms will flip up and all that good stuff. You could make them start sliding down stairs, or if you have a powerful enough gun, you could make them slide UP the stairs.

The level design is incredible. Great detail is put into them, so much that you can really lose yourself in them, and actually think you're in there wherever it is. It's not just the texture detail and massive amounts of polygons, there are also environmental conditions to further develop the mood, such as fog, smoke pouring out of pipes, and rain. Many of the old levels from the original Unreal Tournament are back with certain enhancements to add to the experience.

Weapons could still use a bit of tweaking, as some of them seem a bit weaker than they look and sound, so I don't think it's fair for me to comment on them yet.

One of the main objectives that the development team has been trying to accomplish is to get the game to be able to run on as wide a range of configurations as possible. My system isn't exactly top of the line, it's the average overclocked computer with a year and a half old Geforce 2. But still, the performance is very impressive. With my Geforce2 64mb being overclocked to 230/380, it will still run at high detail in 640x480. There's a wide variety of graphical details to reduce, so even those of you stuck with old Geforce1's, Geforce2 MX's, or Radeon LE's could still manage playable framerates. As for TNT2 or Voodoo users, well... you could still play the game, but don't expect it to be exactly fluid.

But if you've got a slower processor, you don't have to panic. For instance, they include an option to disable the Karma physics, which require a lot of CPU horsepower to produce. This could help not only the performance of the game with slow processors, but also the performance on some mid-range systems without a hardware transform (rendering the 3d objects) and lighting (T&L) capable video card. This is because without a hardware T&L video card, you'd have to do both T&L calculations and karma physics on the CPU, and you wouldn't want both things fighting over CPU time; you wouldn't have much processor left to feed frames to the video card or take input from the keyboard and mouse!

All in all, for what is still technically not released yet, the game has come a long way, and while it may still have some improvement to be done, it's a shorter road ahead than it has been behind.

Here's some screenshots for your viewing pleasure! Here's one where I wrapped someone (something?) around a tree...

Attachments

• shot00017.jpg
    shot00017.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 36

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Looking from the bottom of the extremely huge Tokara Forest level

Attachments

• shot00021.jpg
    shot00021.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 35

fury

Administrator
Staff member
A shot of one of the levels that looks like it was remade from UT (can you guess which one?)

Attachments

• shot00010.jpg
    shot00010.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 35

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Caught this one while someone was in mid-fall! :cool:

Attachments

• shot00016.jpg
    shot00016.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 34

sbcanada

This game looks great but the low end computer users are going to suffer. :D

I have the beta version but I've only played it once... I'm going to play it right now and maybe get some screenshots. :smash:

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I've got both the leak of the demo (253 megs) and the leak of the full game. (920 megs)

The demo leak was leaked a lot earlier than the full game leak, it doesn't have many of the features that the full game does (including the karma physics).

sbcanada

I have the 920MB version. :smash:

Here is me playing Capture The Flag on Lava Giant II:

Attachments

• ut2003.gif
    ut2003.gif
    149.7 KB · Views: 21

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I thought this thing was supposed to be out by now??? Where tf is it?

Justintime

Something
weird, i got a 550MB version (iso)(where'd that come from? :D) and the 920MB version that decompresses to an ungodly 2GB install directory and 4GB installed bla!