Ultraproducts.com RMA Process = HORRID POLICY WORST EVER

No Tact

Not A Newb
I bought the 500 Watt Ultra Xconnect from Zipzoomfly.com on 02-19-05.

It ran fine for 60 days. It died yesterday, out of the blue, while I played CS:S.

I tried a few things and the PC would not power on regardless. I had another PSU I had bought for another system and I put it in and was up and running in a few minutes.

Zipzoomfly has a 30 day return policy. So returning it there was not an option. I can read thier website policies and accepted that.

I looked at Ultras website and emailed Customer Service, who have no weekend hours, and asked for an RMA.

I got an email this morning from thier Customer Service department telling me to call an 888 number. I call and speak to a customer service representative (edited to not piss off the CS out there). He explans that since I did not buy my PSU directly from Ultra Products website ( http://www.ultraproducts.com/) then I will have to first pay for a powersupply to be shipped to me from Tiger Direct using my credit card, then they will email me an RMA # within 3 days (?), the new PSU will be shipped out within the week and I will then be refunded by Tiger Direct for the new PSU after they have received the dead PSU unit I will return. This is thier stated RMA policy! They then asked for the last four digits of my social security number!

I then asked if like all big industry manufacturers they would allow me to send the dead PSU back, at my expense, and they would be able to ionspect it and then provide a replacement to me. He said NO that is not our policy, he did not make the policy and I had to do it the Tier Direct way or no way at all. Very rigid.

This has got to be the shadiest, most ridiculous and disturbing form of RMA I have ever heard of. At that point I would give this company a 0 for thier effort at customer service and a 0 for caring about the customer. I would give the customer service agent I spoke to a 0 for intelligence and sincerity. His computer crashed while we spoke, he could not type fast, he sputtered when I objected to this policy. I am utterly and deeply disgusted by this experience and shall do my best to spread the word about this horrid customer service and policy. I have had to obtain many RMA's from many comanies, Antec, Soyo, DFI, Gainward, on and on. I HAVE NEVER EVEN HEARD OF ANY COMPANY THAT TREATS ITS CUSTOMERS IN SUCH A SHABBY WAY!

Update: 24 hours later.. I found my way to the Ultra Foums - http://ultraproducts.com/forum/ where I was helped by "Mr. Clean" ie: George in an efficient manner.

He said that the policy I have stated above is the rule but the customer is right and should the need arise a rule can be broken. He offered to ship the new PSU out, cancel the charge to my credit card, which had occured ~:| and then sent the tracking info for the PSU that was in transit. While this is all very nice there are issues with the process I think that will continue to come up in the future.

Why did I not receive this tracking info when the package was shipped yesterday? Why was I still waiting on an RMA number? Though George was very helpful and I have some good news I am still weary of the process and feel it could be a lot better.

So if you have RMA issues contact the forums or call direct - George - 888-333-8900

The link to the forums is not in the top bar of the Ultra site is at the bottom of the side nav as of this date. No wonder I couldn't find it as I was not scrolling the side bar shopping for products I was looking for customer service.

I know "Some people you can never please". I am very pleased but still uneasy about the process I personally experienced. Maybe others will have better luck and this experience may even help the process.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Maximum PC gave them a bad review about 2 months ago. Still, that sounds like a pretty shady policy.