U.S. GOVERNMENT AWARDS SEAGATE GRANT FOR RESEARCH

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://www.seagate.com/cda/newsinfo/newsroom/releases/article/0,,1287,00.html]SCOTTS VALLEY, Calif. — 22 October 2001 — Seagate today announced that the U.S. National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) has awarded a research grant for a joint venture between Seagate, the National Storage Industry Consortium (NSIC), Advanced Research Corp., Carnegie Mellon University, MEMS Optical Inc., the University of Arizona, and Seagate subcontractor Euxine Technologies. The award was given to the project partners to work together on a promising new data storage technology known as Heat Assisted Magnetic Recording (HAMR). HAMR is expected to enable dramatic increases in data storage performance, capacity, and reliability that could someday put the world’s digital information into a shirt pocket. Seagate will take the lead role in research and provide technical management, while NSIC will provide administrative and financial management.

[/QUOTEURL]

Look at how the industry has grown in the last 10 years. Is there any limit to how big of a hard drive that can be made or the speed of it? Imagine how the technology will grow in the future. It looks like there is no telling how far technology will advance to.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think they're talking about hard drives specifically, just data storage in general. IIRC, I think Seagate's 180 gig drive is pretty much hitting the limit of bit density as it relates to 3.5" form factor drives. To get a larger disk drive, IMO, they'd have to make a 5.25" form factor drive.

If they can still make larger drives in 3.5", then I'll be amazed :eek:

S

s4

I was making a comment about data storage in general using hard drives as an example. This research is to develop new storage technology. Who knows 10 years from now hard drives might become obsolete?

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever solid state (read: memory) drives become feasible and affordable, hard disk drives will become obsolete :cool:

punkass

Originally posted by fury
To get a larger disk drive, IMO, they'd have to make a 5.25" form factor drive.

If they can still make larger drives in 3.5", then I'll be amazed :eek:

Prepare yourself then. ;)

Justintime

Something
i'm dreamin of a 100GB chunk o memory banks that can be written and erased to without batteries to hold data :D