U.S. Endorses Palestinian State

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
"live side by side within secure & recognized borders":rofl:

Tue Mar 12,11:26 PM ET
By EDITH M. LEDERER, Associated Press Writer

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - The United States endorsed a Palestinian state late Tuesday for the first time at the United Nations, introducing a resolution that also calls for a cease-fire in the escalating Mideast conflict.

The resolution, the first offered by the United States since the latest round of fighting began in September 2000, was circulated hours after Syria offered a Palestinian-backed resolution.

There was a possibility the council might vote on both drafts, but behind-the-scenes diplomatic efforts were going on to have a single vote on a consensus text.

As a result of intense negotiations, the United States decided late Tuesday to amend its text by "affirming a vision of a region where two states, Israel and Palestinian, live side by side within secure and recognized borders."

unclehobart

this is my special title
The UN is getting pretty heated at Israel as of late. They are now publicly calling the West Bank occupation an illegal act.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Illegal or not, they must defend themselves or cease to exist.

S

s4

I have doubts that peace can be achieved no matter what is agreed upon.

unclehobart

this is my special title
14-0-1 vote in the UN security council calling for a Palestinian State. Syria was the only abstention because they demanded stronger language.

S

s4

They could solve it, alright. By doing exactly what they are doing now, it will get solved. It will continue to grow and grow until both sides have had enough. Only then will be a lasting peace be achieved.

unclehobart

this is my special title
I think the only way to end it all is to have the orthodox crurch elders from Islam and Judaism come together and proclaim 'love thy neighbor'. If they dissolve the blood feud from their scriptures and command compliance and forgiveness... it should dissolve over the course of 50 years.