Tomshardware smells burning

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Check this article out.

Tomshardware has themselves a Pentium 4 2 gig, a Pentium 3 1 gig, a T-bird 1400 and a Palomino 1200. From the topic name, you can probably guess that they did something related to burning :)

They actually pulled off the CPU heatsink while the CPU was running an intensive game demo in Quake 3.

The results? Go read the article for yourself, and at the end of the article, download the 9 meg long but mildly entertaining (and gut-wrenching :vomit: ) video and the 700kb divx-mpeg4 codec if you need it

My mind is still not changed about being a hardcore AMD fan though, I am very picky about just how sturdy my heatsinks are installed and whenever I smell burning...well... read the sig :D

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
by the time you smell burning it's too late...shit, less than a second to cook it-makes me question my next purchase:(

fury

Administrator
Staff member
The chances that a heatsink will fall off once you've got it on and the computer is stationary are slim to none

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
It all comes down to know-how when you build the damn thing. Put it together right, and you'll have no problems.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
I've never had a problem, nor one fall off-it just worries me in case of something odd happening the damn thing is toast before I know what happened.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Whenever I'm not sure if something will break off or not, I just lay the computer on its side. If the clip breaks off, the weight of the heatsink will still keep some of it attached to the CPU and i'm able to save it before it burns too much.

In the case of my Duron 700 @ 1000 though, that theory didn't quite work (when the clip broke off, the power of the air the fan was blowing was raising the heatsink up some, and none of it made physical contact with the processor :eek: )

But that processor is still crunching away, despite all 8 cookings it has gone through :rolleyes:

Noite Escura

The unpredictable
You should do a "Recipe guide" and post it in the Libations forums. What about "New delicious recipes: Cooking with the Duron" :D

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Hey, that's a great idea! But I think the majority of the members here probably don't eat silicon :o

punkass

But I also think that, hopefully, most of the members here know how to properly attach a heatsink! :p

It isn't rocket science! If you put it on wrong once then you should surely know better the second time.

:D