The R350 will be out in a month

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
I guess nvidia's short-lived lead with the FX is going to die a quick death

[quoteurl=http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/030225/tech_ati_1.html]LA QUINTA, Calif., Feb 25 (Reuters) - ATI Technologies Inc (Toronto:ATY.TO - News), locked in a battle with rival Nvidia Corp (NasdaqNM:NVDA - News) over bragging rights to the fastest graphic chip, plans to release its most-advanced PC chip yet within the next month or so, a company executive said on Tuesday.

Dave Rolston, ATI's vice president of engineering, said at a Goldman Sachs technology conference here that the company's R350 chip would be "coming out, say, within the next 30 days."

The R350 chip will be the high-end successor to ATI's Radeon 9700 chip. A new version of that chip geared toward the mainstream market is also coming in the next 30 days, he said.

That Radeon 9700 variant will be built using 130 nanometer technology, or .13 micron, which is a reference to the size of the feature sets on the chips. The .13 micron technology promises better speeds and lower costs than past standards, like .15 micron. (snip)[/quoteurl]

fury

Administrator
Staff member
So basically an upgrade to the 9700 AND the next generation Radeon within the next 30 days? I see 9700 prices dropping like rocks in the near future :brow:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
The 9800 Pro's start shipping today. Reviews can be found at HardOCP, AnandTech, Tech Report, and Beyond 3d. A snip from one of the reviews:

More than just a higher clocked Radeon 9700, the Radeon 9800 Pro doesn't cease to impress because of the minor but potent improvements ATI made to the R350 core. Definitely a pleasant surprise, ATI has produced a worthy interim successor to the Radeon 9700 Pro. If you want the best out today, look no further than the Radeon 9800 Pro; it's quiet, faster, occupies a single slot, and will enjoy much wider availability than the GeForce FX.