The foot on my KT7's socket broke off + HSF question

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I put a different hard drive in the duron (luckily it still had windows installed, and most of my drivers were there... only took 2 hours to reconfigure it for a dedicated crunching machine) installed Genome, let it download a unit and complete the first sequence. Then I switched it over to run off the network. That was the last I heard from it until about 4:30 this afternoon when I woke up.

I switched on the screens of both of my computers to check and see how they were doing.

The screen attached to the T-bird came up just fine.

The screen on the Duron did not. I waited a few seconds in case the monitor was still trying to warm up. No screen.

So I shut it off, and turned it back on.

It displayed the Duron at 700 (BAD) so I went into the bios. Next thing I know, there's garbled characters roaming about the screen, and then it goes blank again.

After the usual grunt and groan, it took me a while to recognize the symptoms: "DUDE, YOU'RE BURNING YOUR CPU!"

I yanked the power plug, ripped off the front of the case and pulled off the side. Everything appeared to be normal, the fan on the FOP32-1 couldn't have failed because I heard it through the case... so I think maybe it's not making full contact. I grab the FOP32-1 to wiggle it slightly, and much to my surprise it's not attached to the socket.

I pulled off the FOP32-1 and see that one of the clips is completely broken off.

:o

The duron possibly being fried isn't really what bothers me because they're just $30 + $10 shipping. The mobo is what worries me. If it got way too hot and burned up while the Duron was running without a heatsink, an RMA is going to cost me 2 things: 1) $25 and 2) the trouble of badgering Abit tech support until they give me the OK. If I can't get an RMA, it's going to cost me 3 things: 1) A new motherboard, 2) A headache, and 3) the time it takes to set the machine back up

Or I could just get a heatsink/fan combo that attaches itself by the holes in the motherboard and hope everything else is working fine.

What are everyone's experiences with HSF's that use the 4 holes around the socket to install? Have you ever experienced any core crushings with them? Do they rock back and forth when the computer is in transit?