The first Official Canada Sucks Thread

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I've only been there once, but I'll never forget the fateful day I arrived. It was a town called Hamilton, a little north of Niagra Falls.

After a very long drive, I had wandered innocently into a convenience store in search of a brew that could quench my thirst, relax the mind, and purify my soul. What I would find next was enough to scar me for years. After several horrifying minutes of sheer terror I crawled up to the counter and said "Where the hell is your beer". The thing behind the counter, it's face gnarled up into a disgusting mass of flesh and pure evil, spewed forth a retched mantra. "We don't sell beer here, you have to go to the beer store and they closed at 8:00" it hissed.

Stunned, wounded, hopeless, and without the proper funds to get drunk at a bar my only counter was a feeble "sh!T!".

I perhaps was one of the lucky few to survive the encounter. Several days later I was safe again in a happy place. A land where people will put beer in your car as you drive through their store without the need to even get out. A land where you can get handed the required refreshments while your car is running until 1:00am.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
As a matter of fact Ohio was the happy place with the drive-throughs open until 1:00 :)

Q

stepmosnter
Staff member
Yup, Canada does have some yummy beer...and here's a little secret flav, should you ever find yourself in that dreadful Hamilton situation again. Zip back over the Peace Bridge where you can buy beer till 3am or roughly 8 miles south of the bridge where its available till 4am. :)

flavio

superfly
Staff member
As far as Canadian beer goes, I'll have to admit I'm a fan. The mainstream Molsen and Labatt's definitly beats the hell out of Bud and Miller. In fact Molsen used to be a staple for me.

Here in California though for some reason it's rare to find any Canadian beer except Moosehead which I think sucks.

There's so many microbrews though that I hardleery miss it. The Pyramid Brewing Company which makes a fine selection of excellent brews is about 4 blocks from my old house and they're available everywhere.

Sierra Nevada beers are damn fine brews and all over the place here as well. As far as mainstream beers go Samuel Adam's is almost there and is a great beer.

There's no reason to think Canada owns where I'm at.

flavio

superfly
Staff member
211 made me strange, I'll write a little bit on it later since it's such an integral part of Xi.