Thank you effing windows update

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Latest rounds of updates killed my machine :( Basically it did the first round of updates, rebooted, tried doing the second round before windows starts, goes to a black screen with a mouse pointer. Can't boot into safe mode (same thing).

I got a backup (a month old) I will restore to if I can't figure this out. Don't see anything about it in googleland. Just a pita! :mad:

iwajabitw

Thinks its possible to put the drive in another system as slave to see if you can clean out prefetch or start up items?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
already tried that; what bums me out is the machine came with 7 pro and I did a in-windows upgrade to 7 ultimate. So one of the things I wanted to do is boot off the win7 dvd to try to run system restore

NEGATIVE! INCORRECT VERSION!!

:cuss:

copying over the backup file now.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 2

iwajabitw

Had 7 of mine all win 7 or vista waiting for log on so Boinc could start running again, if its gonna auto reboot the damn thing should auto log in..:smash4:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Well it's up and running again; I tried all 3 variants of W7 and none of them would let me run the repair tools. Do I have so magical variation of W7 that no one else does? :banghead:

Took an hour+ to update everything; got a little nervous watching it reboot after downloading win updates...

iwajabitw

Ya know I had that issue with Vista on one machine last year..because I hadn't created the boot/repair disk it would not let me get into repair tools, it was grayed out. Tried a reinstall, then restore from backup and it just never ran smooth. Ended up doing the full reinstall after that. I now keep me a burnt repair disk for them, because I built a NAS box and back everything up there on 2 mirrored drives. So with it being a network backup/restore I was advised to make the disk so Win can restore from the network.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Yeah I've set my systems to notify me when there are updates to install & let me choose when to install them.

Hate surprises. :mad:

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
No; it seemed to be a hiccup on my end. Never ever had a problem with WU before this.