Terragen

S

s4

The thread by Dog about Bryce reminded me that I had downloaded a freeware program called Terragen that can make landscapes. Here is something I managed to do after a couple of minutes of installing it. The program has a tutorial. It looks interesting but complicated.

The link for the program is: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 38

flavio

superfly
Staff member
Terragen is a pretty cool program. I made a bunch of stuff in it awhile back. The thing that I wonder about that program is the portability of the scenes. All it does is landscapes (nice ones), but what I would like to be able to do is take the landscape and then add in buildings and other structures with 3DS Max.

From a quick glance at their page it looks like you can save as a Lightwave file and probably do this. I wonder if you can convert to a .max file somehow?

S

s4

That is nice. I knew terragen was a good program, but I have no idea where to start learning it and not much enthusiasm that I can do anything like that.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
1280x960... compressed... I have an uncompressed one but it's, uhh, 3.5 megs. :lol:

edit: BTW, That took 19 minutes and one second to render.

Attachments

• first.jpg
    first.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 27

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
nice pics-I just dl'ed it(4 secs, damn I love my cable)---why is there so many "read the agreements", is there spyware or sumthin'?

flavio

superfly
Staff member
I'm pretty sure there's no spyware but you can run Adaware if you want to make sure.

This program is pretty easy to feel your way through. The most important thing is to get a good camera angle.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Yep. It's all in the camera. You can play around with the terrain all you want, but you're not gonna get a pic worth a piece of crap if it is shot from an angle which clips (is inside part of the terrain) or shows the edge of the "world". Quite finicky. But it can make some b00tiful pics if done right.