tempting but didn't buy

S

s4

I had a chance to buy a 89 GMC Jimmy from this guy for $150. The body was fair -- some rust, good rubber. It needed rod bearings which would probably mean that I'd had to yank the motor. I know a guy could just put new bearings in but it would need to be turned. I even thought about sticking another motor in the thing, but then I found out it had 250,000 miles on the body. That was a big turn off and I had to walk. I'm getting too old to be doing stuff like that anyway. It's just no fun to do things like that.

Inkara1

How old was the engine that was in it? I've noticed it seems like most General Motors trucks that old are on at least their second engine.

S

s4

He claimed it was rebuilt at 175k, but it was a 6 cyl. I've heard those 2.8 motors are junk.

Inkara1

My aunt used to have a 1984 Celebrity with a 2.8 V6 that would probably overheat in Canada in December. I know several times she had to have cold water sprayed on the radiator to help cool the engine down enough that you could shut it off. The block eventually cracked 5 or 6 years ago.

S

s4

I think this thing could have been usable yet if someone were to put another motor in it, but I am not the type of guy that likes to do that kind of stuff.