SoundBlaster Live

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Ok, just to get things started in here-why does everyone hate SB & think they're the problem for everything(besides MS) BUT everyone uses one?
Just a thought........

fury

Administrator
Staff member
only problem I have with em is that they fall out of my PCI slots too much and nearly shorted my board. before that happened I sent mine off to someone who had the same problem (the card falling out of the PCI slot) and it DID short his board :o

I use an Aureal Vortex2 SQ2500. It doesn't work in NTx (NT4, 2k, XP) is one of my beefs with it

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I've always been happy with 'em. As long as you d/l new drivers immediately after you install, they're great.

The thing I don't like is the control center coming up on startup. I usually disable that as well.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
I don't like many things popping up on startup so I disable the launcher and the SB Live "control panel" from starting up as well

saltedeggman

Originally posted by fury:
<STRONG>I don't like many things popping up on startup so I disable the launcher and the SB Live "control panel" from starting up as well</STRONG>

Usually i just install the drivers alone, i never install the AudioHQ stuff like that

JJR512

I'm not aware of "everyone hating them". In my own Hardware forum on my board, I think I've only ever heard one person not like them. In all the other boards I've been to, I never saw anyone hating them. Most comments I've seen have been generally favorable.

I've had an AWE-64, and now have a Live!, the original full version. I have no complaints about the hardware or the quality of the sound. Like some others here, I disable some all of the software that it wants to have startup automatically. Other than that, they're great.

That said, I may be looking to try a Hercules Game Theater soon... :)

dimme

I'm still on my Soundblaster AWE 64 Value :)
'Nuff said :D
Many say it gives you problems with the KT7A motherboard but I haven't noticed anything. Sound is good, if I want surround sound, I'll connect t to the Surround sound system next to the 'puter. :)

patweb

Eater of Hot Peppered Steak
&gt;&gt;only problem I have with em is that they fall out of my PCI slots too much and nearly shorted my board. &lt;&lt;

I keep envisioning an overworked ho. I put the retention screw in my SB!LIVE and haven't had any problems with it falling out!

I have issues with it, especially EAX. When I turn on EAX support, the volume on sound events originating from the front or rear is extremely low. So you can't hear a friggen rocket coming straight at you. I have the habit of turning to the side just to hear what the hell is going on (like in Half-Life).

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Try adjusting the balance/fade controls or if you're using Klipsch Promedia speakers, set the surround dial to the middle setting (12:00-ish)