So it's not OS specific

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
But we don't have a software forum so this is where it'll since it's software.

Anyone out there tired of MS Office might want to give OpenOffice a shot. Heel of a deal considering it's free. I've used it for sometime now and have had NO problem importing any MS .doc files into it. Although I can't speak for Excel importation as I don't do spreadsheets, I've heard that it's still not up to par in that department. Regardless, it's a powerful suite of tools that's getting better and better with each new release.

There's also a public beta MacOS X that all the Mac users might want to check out.

OpenOffice

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
I've used it. It'll handle Excel spreadsheets without any major difficulty. The interface is similar enbough to MS Office to avoid giving you the jitters. All in all, not a bad alternative.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Sony (NYSE: SNE - news) has announced it will replace Microsoft Office with Sun Microsystems (Nasdaq: SUNW - news)' StarOffice suite on most of its desktop PCs sold in Europe.

The Japanese computer maker said the switch will affect PCs sold in the United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, France, Spain and Switzerland. Sun has announced that discussions are under way to place the company's StarOffice 6.0 software on Sony PCs in other countries, too.

Sun Lures Sony from Microsoft

I'm wondering now how many others will start jumping ship and start selling their PC's with something like StarOffice or OpenOffice. I'm sure this has got Microsoft's attention.