Snobs.

iwajabitw

Are you one or know one.

Having many interest it suprises me, I don't know why, all the snobs I see in there field of interest or hobby.

Mountain climbing
Mechanics
Computers
Weightlifting/Training
Wine
Cigars
Coffee
Whisky
Hiking
Camping
Audiophiles
Home Décor
General Contractors
Home Builders
Landscapers
Cooks/Chefs

No teachers so to speak, just dick measuring contest when you speak to these people. And a lot of times they are incorrect in what there being a snob about. I have a relative that is a coffee snob... he only orders from a guy that gets his beans from indigenous countries. He always looked down on my for drinking but he has now discovered wine, and guess what, he is a snob about that. WTF...

iwajabitw

Same thing in a gun store. That best gun friend recommending a $2000 gun to someone who has never fired a weapon. I always recommend a .38 special wheel gun to anyone with out experience.

iwajabitw

No a Kimber or Ed Baer 1911. I love and own a Kimber, but would not recommend it for a first gun purchase. Nor would I recommend Glock or Sig Saur. A Taurus M85 or S&W chiefs special 99 both in .38 is where I tell people to start. They may want it for the home and it may never get fired. It has a heavy pull so no one is going to accidently fire it, and used they can be had for $200-$400 bucks.

Professur

Mushroom at large
I'd usually suggest the .357. Fires the .38 so it's cheap .. but you can step up to more power if you feel the need. But for a first plinker, I'd have to go with a .22 long barrel revolver. You're dead right on one thing tho ... a first gun should never be an auto. Until their wrist is strong enough, an auto isn't reliable.

iwajabitw

I'd usually suggest the .357. Fires the .38 so it's cheap .. but you can step up to more power if you feel the need. But for a first plinker, I'd have to go with a .22 long barrel revolver. You're dead right on one thing tho ... a first gun should never be an auto. Until their wrist is strong enough, an auto isn't reliable.
Taught my kids on a Walther P22 and an old Savage .22rifle my dad bought for me in 1980 when I was 7. Squirrel hunting. Tube fed semiauto . 22LR, they had a blast. When I bought the Kimber in 08 and took it to the range to break it in, I got tired of shooting to put 500 rounds though it. So I just reloaded the magazines for him.