Setting up second HD

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
So far I've managed to get the computer to notice the second HD, but in win98 it shows it as only 2GB and it should be 4GB. It do show up as 4 in bios.

Second, how do I install win98 on the second one? It only has dos-6 right now.

Please help oh great computer minds.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
fuser what are you trying to do withthe 2nd drive? you want it as a slave of you want to replace the first drive?

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
make sure the jumpers on the 2nd HDD are set to slave and the first are set to master. If it recognizes it at all you may need to format it. (My Computer/[select drive]/right click/format)

Professur

Mushroom at large
It's your partition. A Fat, or Fat16 partition maxes out at 2G. You need to partition it as a Fat32 to access the rest.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Gonzo, I tried what you said (jumpers are fine, it comes up as drive D) when I right click and format I get this message,

Also when I try to fdisk It won't let change anything. I'll write what it says tomorrow as I'm at work right now.

Attachments

• format.jpg
    format.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 13

HomeLAN

Bumbling Idiot
Staff member
Probably, he is. Boot off of a floppy, and fdisk from there. Delete any existing partitions, then create a single new one, the size of the entire drive. Then format it.

Fuser Man

blah, blah, blah
Okay I managed to get it working. I didn't know that I didn't have to install windows on the the slave. I fdisked it then formatted it in plain old DOS (not DOs prompt) and there's no problem loading stuff on it.

Thanks for all the help guys!