Scaled back recovery prompts scuffle between police, firefighters

S

s4

[QUOTEURL=http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/11/02/rec.firefighter.protest/]
NEW YORK (CNN) -- A protest by New York firefighters rallying against the city's scaled-back World Trade Center recovery effort turned violent Friday, resulting in injuries to five police officers and the arrest of a dozen demonstrators.
[/QUOTEURL]

Damm it. What happened to United We Stand? Those people should be ashamed of themselves for getting in a scuffle. It's one thing to protest and it's another to jump barricades and punch the cops. I understand why the firefighters are upset, but they could have kept it civilized.

unclehobart

this is my special title
It was a short lived sham based upon an emotional high of the moment. It lasted longer than I expected it to, actually. Now those little traits of 'me first' are starting to leak through again. Bread and Circuses.

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
The first I found out about this was this morning on my way to class. It was plastered on the front page in someone's newspaper and in my half daze from getting home after midnight the previous night, I thought it was discussing one of those toughman contests they play on FX, but then I was thinking 'why the hell would they put THAT on the front page?' I still have to completely read the entire article about exactly what happened. I can definitely understand the fire department's feelings about the situation, but this all should be dealt with in private. I think this should have been handled with a bit more care than it was.

S

s4

The firemen have every right to be upset because they want to get in there and find those bodies. The cops on the other hand were only trying to protect the site from the crowd. Both were in the right.