Riddle me this, Winman

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
Ok, this has gotten out of hand. I'm looking for an reasonable & possibly sufficient answer.
I can't install XP. And I have one hellacious time with 2000. However, 98SE is easy as can be. And I'm fed up!!! Here is my system.

In order to install Win2K, I have to format the drive to about 4GB(out of 27+) or I get BSOD's about all kinds of wacky shit. W2K WILL NOT format the drive-EVER. But, with a little prodding, I managed to install it. And, once in, it runs as smoothly as possible.

XP WILL NOT install. I've tried NTFS, FAT32, resizing the partition, using it to format, using Partition Magic 7 to resize &/or format, using the win98bootdisk to resize &/or format, but nooooo!!!

So, in a fit of rage, I fdisked & formatted Fat32, put the Win98SE disk in &, whoila, I'm using it as we speak.

So, now the weird part. It is only a problem on this HDD. The Fujitsu 6.xGB disk that came with my Packard Bell is running a copy of XP. Fairly well I might add. Nothing else is different EXCEPT maxtor vs fujitsu.

Any ideas in what the problem could be? Both HDD's run similar numbers on tests, the Maxtor is about 20% faster in fact. I've used both as main discs & both as storage spaces. I'm losing my mind(no, it's not a far trip) over something seemingly so simple...

HELP:spin:

S

s4

I think you might be able to install it from 98 while win98 is running. I saw it somewhere on one of those xp sites out there. The command may have been WinNT.exe from the i386 directory.

I don't have XP installed otherwise I would look. I'm waiting until next spring after this nasty winter is over and thinking about buying the Home edition upgrade if I can afford it.

systembuilder

Folding@home
xp

looks for an id on just about every thing in side.
some of the older hd's will not run xp because of this.
i've tested home and pro on a wide range of hardware.
and ran into the same wall as you sometimes you can get
passed the id and sometimes not as for the w2k thing
not many people know that ms was using it to test.
hardware id check, they just didnt do any thing with it until xp.

hope this helps keep more of your hair on your head than the
floor.:wave:

Gonzo

Staff member
Originally posted by s4
I think you might be able to install it from 98 while win98 is running.

Probably, but I'd like a clean install, not an upgrade:shrug:

systembuilder said:
some of the older hd's will not run xp because of this.

The maxtor is newer & faster than the fujitsu, by about 2 years
:lurk:

S

s4

It's not actually an upgrade. Since XP and 98 have nothing in common that is none of the system files from 98 are the same as XP, the new os will install new files and not use any of the old ones. I did it this way when I tried the RC2 beta, and it installed XP with no problems while I was running ME. When XP asked if I wanted to repartition and format the drive I told it to use the one that is already there.

You can always use Norton Ghost to backup your 98 system and put it back in a few minutes if it doesn't work out. That is assuming you have Ghost or some other backup program that can restore your old system.

Gonzo

Staff member
better late than never A13, no...

It, in fact, quit running on the 6.4 & I gave up-for now:confused:

a13antichrist

Moderator from Hell
Have you done a Thorough Scan to make sure the hard disk is still fine?

Plus Fujitsu may have been low on MS's list of XP compatibilty so it may be that even though it is newer than the Maxtor drive. Go to the MS update site & run the XP compatibility applet to check on that one. :)

Gonzo

Staff member
Yes sir, they've both had recent enough thorough scans & no problems-I'm beginning to think my Voodoo card is the culprit, since it wouldn't run on my nephews 800 but is okay on mine.

I'm looking at a major upgrade in the next few months so, I'll wait until then.

Gonzo

Staff member
I tried again, just to see the error message more than anything else & guess what?

I got it:smash:

Here is the major important stuff

before we screw up your computer blah blah blah. If this is the first time you've seen this, restart, if not blah blah blah.

STOP: blah blah 0x0000007b...(oxF7AFB63C, 0x00000034, 0x000000000 blahblahblah.)

a 7B errir is one of 7 or so possibilities, none of which apply & I cn't find squat on the f7afb.....error.

If someone see's something that rings a bell, let me know, but otherwise, no biggie.

alex

I had problems setting up a 6gb maxtor drive once and found out it had that Maxblast crap already installed on it and I had to boot off the Maxblast floppy and uninstall it and then everything was fine. :shrug:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
I got pretty familiar with that error message myself, the INACCESSABLE_BOOT_DEVICE one when I tried to install XP on a IBM 40GB drive. The issue for me was overclocking. The system coulnd not be overlocked, be fore , during, or after the install of XP, by even the slightest amount. Is your system overclocked at all? If so, try throttling back and then install XP. Hope this helps.

Gonzo

Staff member
I emptied my Fujitsu & it installed there (XP). Now, is there a way to transfer all the proggies & their updates to that drive without a full reinstall. I shudder at the thought of doing THAT again.

The irony is, with XP on the smaller drive, I hooked up the 98 HDD as the slave & XP recognized it with no problems.:retard: :confused: :smash:

Gonzo

Staff member
Never mind. I am reinstalling & it's working well:scared: ...

I actually picked up 1.15MhZ on my CPU woohoo:eh: