Review of RedHat 7.1

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
Gonna be a little bit for it because I'm approaching it from different angles. Going to include several screen shots of a text mode install, GUI install and several important installation hints, i.e. adding a Windows stanza to lilo for a Win98/RedHat 7.1 dual boot, Duron hints, and I hope to include some information on using Disk Druid. In addition, I'm planning on including screen shots of important tools, like printtool, apacheconf, linuxconf, and other tools like RPM. Again, I'm working on it now, but I am going to have to do several installs of Linux to get all the screen shots I want. Then I am going to make thumnails of them all, write it all up, then make a web page outta it. phew. :) Oh and I just had to be the first one to say something in here. :)

S

s4

I'm looking forward to it. I was wondering if it was worth the download.

fury

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds excellent, PC, can't wait to see it.

Outlaw: Linux doesn't "fix" your sound card problem, the people who made your sound card "fix" your sound card problem :p

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Sounds great, you really should get a life, but in the meantime I am glad to benefit from your insomnia.

I would be curious to hear how you think it compares to Mandrake 8.0 if you have any experience with that distro too? I am a big Mandrake fan (see new topic in this forum). Are you going to do any drive mirroring? I have done this on Mandrake and it was a snap. The only hitch was that I could not mirror the boot partition and had to put in a separate drive just for that. Does RedHat still require root/boot/swap partitions or just root/swap?

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
hehehe. Yeah, I got a lot of the reading portion completed, all the text based install screenies completed, now I've got to get the GUI screenies completed. Haven't done any mirroring yet myself....you know, I got a couple 10GB drives here...might have to play with that a bit. :) I use /boot/swap/root/home myself, just because that's the way I've always done it. But, Redhat dosen't require it. All it requires is /swap and / to be there.

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
On your swap partition... do you make it a certain multiple of the installed ram? In Windoze I always fix the swap file at 2.5 X the ram. If you wanted to increase the size of the swap partition post installation, how would you go about it without trashing your other partitions? Or could you? :rolleyes:

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
On systems that I have greater than 384MB of RAM, then I don't even bother creating a swap partition. Less than that, then I stick with the +12 rule. Total pysical +12MB. I never go beyond that though.

PostCode

Perverted Penguin
Staff member
UGH. Working on the Review right now. Taking a break from it though. whew. Looks like it's going to be a long one. Lot's of pictures of the GUI and text mode installs. I took a little time and figured out how to work with this Fuji digital camera better. Amazing what one can learn if they actually read the instructions...Anyway, I've got a crap load of pictures and now I'm reworking the write up to add the pictures all in and adding a lot to the write up itself. Remember, this is the first review I have ever written. Probably to long of one, but it's a kinda review/howto all wrapped up in one. Whereas most of the reviews I have read are two, maybe three pages, this one will probably be closer to 8 or 10 pages. hehe Stay tuned. :)

wine4all

SWM 40 seeking truth
Looking good! I noticed you get some reflections in the install pics that I can almost make out what is behind you... so for subliminal purposes I would suggest you put a naked woman behind you when taking these pictures, hehehehe. Might increase read time.

Gotta go now, Neo just showed up for some winemaking stuff.