Remember the old days?

Huge

Holla if you hear me!
Staff member
Regular contributor Jacek Fedoryñski (who I believe is actually a Linux maven) sends along a reminder that today is the sixth anniversary of the release of Windows 95. This of course was back when so many of us were DOOM mavens, which was a DOS-based game, so there was little motivation to become an early adopter (actually as I recall most people considered being an early Win95 adopter being akin to walking the high-wire without a net, but those fears turned out to be exaggerated). Anyway, it was DOOM's fault I didn't upgrade, and it was Quake's fault that I did... or rather QuakeSpy's fault (Quake was a DOS program too, remember), as this was a Win95 program back in the days before it was GameSpy, much less a conglomerate, and the ability to join a multiplayer game at a mouse click was too much temptation to resist the OS upgrade any longer. Wow, that has me remembering what online play was like before that though, scanning a web-based server list like ][ronman's, scribbling IP addresses on yellow post-its, launching the game, and putting in IP's manually. I guess I'll be telling my kids that story someday, like it's a description of walking to school five miles through the snow, or something.

Ripped shamelessly from Blues.