PVR on the cheap?

majorDad

I was wondering...

I'd like the functionality of a TiVo or ReplayTV system, without paying the silly subscription fees, dealing with a bunch of ads or having it record things I might like. I can schedule my own recordings, and so I don't really need the whole feature set. I like the idea of storing off-air recordings on a HD for later viewing, and have been keeping my eyes open for the right thing.

Recently, HP released their media center computer, complete with a TV tuner and a PVR function. Maybe that's what I need; but without the expensive computer wrapped around it.

So, the Question: Does anyone know of a minimal hardware set and low-cost "video file management" type software, that I could put something together for this that would be serviceable?

Thanks in advance!

Kruz

Staff member
just get a good TV tuner card, and a big ass hard drive.
the tuner card will have software for recording to disc.

Neo

Administrator
Staff member
happauge and the ATI all in wonder are great. I used the AIW card a few years ago and loved it. We also use it at work.
Havent personally used the happauge but friends tell me its a decent card.

couple of items:

PROS

• Excellent FM radio tuner
• Able to burn recordings to CD-R/W from program
• PVR interface highly accessible
• Customizable channel suites
• Remote control

CONS

• Does not support multiple monitors
• Takes up PCI slot
• Does not decode MPEG video

ATI 9000 AIW

check this out might be a little happier and less money.

Gonzo

Infinitesimally Outrageous
Staff member
The other option is to go with DishNetwork. They have 2 models of PVR, no-subscription as long as you're a Dish customer.

One model is straight PVR/dish receiver & the other is a dual tuner PVR/dish receiver. Watch on echannel & record another-both from the satelite.

majorDad

Thanks Kruz, Neo, Gonzo. I'll look into the ATI.

And thanks for the tip about Dish. I'm hoping for Dish to pick up the NFL package. I understand that won't happen until '05 or later.

-md

chcr

I have no idea!
Sorry, I haven't been over here for a few days. I built one. I don't think you can do it without the computer, because you need to run the PVR software. Mine was originally a PIII-450@558, but it had some trouble encoding video, so I dug thru some spare parts, upgrded my main rig, and ended up with a t-bird 1100. I run an old ATI All in Wonder rage 8MB card (it only has to output 640X480 16bit color although if you're in Europe I think you need 800X600). The card came with the PVR software and hardware DVD support. I also put an old 8X burner in there, so I can save stuff to a VCD if I want. So now I have my PVR, DVD and a VCD player all in one box. It runs Win 98SE, has an IR keyboard with a built in mouse, and the ATI software included a program guide, so I can one click schedule recording, and I have it hooked into my home network so I have cable internet. It's cool. The Hauppage card also comes with excellent software, so it is certainly an alternative. I already had the ATI card. Oh yeah, biggest drive you can conveniently afford.

majorDad

Gonna try it with a K6-2 -400; but am learning I'll need a big honking drive to make it work right.

Thanks!